• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Optimizing the Microbiome

novasimpson

VIP Member
Registered
Hi! I was just reading about raw food and it mentioned if you dog always seems hungry then it could be a disruption in her microbiome.

Tater Tot has had some microbiome issues in the past. We had her tested with Animalbiome and had her on poop pills on and off.

Like Deepak Chopra says about humans and the microbiome: “we are a few human cells hanging on to a bacterial colony, we are the awakening of bacterial consciousness.”

How can we optimize the microbiome in animals? Tater Tot is ALWAYS interested in food and when we tested her after a few months of poop pills her microbiome was still not balanced. She is taking a RxVitamins Probiotic and on 50% home cooked meals/50% canned food (from her last bout of chronic diarrhea). Should we restart the poop pills?

What else can help? raw food, sauerkraut, kale/blueberry smoothie, yogurt?

Thanks for any and all input and advice!

Dr. Sue

Certified Veterinary Food Therapist
VIP Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
Great question! The microbiome is like a fingerprint - it's unique to each pet though there are many common threads. You'll see on your Animal Biome report that there are many different types of bacteria in the gut and feeding a variety of fresh foods in the diet is the best way to keep them happy. Fermented foods, raw goats milk, raw food are all helpful. I also find that feeding a small amount of healthy freshly cooked grains can be beneficial - barley, millet, brown rice, steel cut oats.
Other ways to keep the biome healthy are to offer fresh spring water vs tap to avoid heavy metals/chemicals that can damage the microbiome, exercise regularly, avoid medications. Individuals may need extra support to help increase some populations and decrease others. It's not unusual for the biome to take a while to come around once it's imbalanced. Sometimes it takes a couple rounds of poop pills. I would submit another stool sample to Animal Biome to find out what your dog's biome is like now and if the poop pills are recommended. FYI - Probiotic supplements should be stopped when a dog takes the poop pills.

novasimpson

VIP Member
Registered
Hi Dr Sue,

Thank you for all the information! I didn't even think about stopping the probiotic while on the poop pills -good to know. I will add more good foods and have TT retested. It will be good to see the change because it has been > 1 year since last testing.

Thank you again! I have to get my microbiome strong too! ?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks to you both for a great and important discussion.

Thanks @novasimpson for the questions and @Dr. Sue for advising that TT stop the Rx Biotic while taking poop pills.

Nova, diversity is key, so consider using a different probiotic to introduce novel bacteria to promote balance.

Definitely try, one at a time, the great fermented foods you mentioned.

However, her huge hunger may also be a symptom clue that guides to curative remedies for the energetic dys-equilibrium.

TCM and Ayurveda address this underlying cause, though I'd advise further homeopathic treatment.

Perhaps do the Animal Biome test first to see what it reveals about her bacterial balance.

kristen_acri

VIP Member
Registered
Following this because Charlie and Tater Tot sound similar in the area of eating.

I've been giving Charlie a little Answers Goat Milk with meals along with a little fermented raw sauerkraut. And then, a few pieces of Answers Goat Cheese as treats throughout the day. Maybe too much of something?

I had to start slowly with the goat milk before and he never tolerated kefir.

I'll just give one thing at a time and see if it makes any difference in his stools.

Thanks!

Kristen

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom