• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Oops, I did it again -- meet Kendi!

kristen_acri

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi everyone -- introducing my newly adopted dog Kendi, an 11-year-old Lab/Husky mix. She made her way to PA from NC. She was heart worm positive and finished treatment for that on October 20. She also had steroids. Kendi is a sassy girl. She's on a fresh food now, varied diet, mostly raw. That transition took about three weeks. So far I've only added CAS Options, CoQ-10, a probiotic, vitamin/mineral supplement, and omega 3 to her meals.

Other things about Kendi:

Her tail is always wagging!

Her last weight was 51.4 pounds and she looks like she needs to lose weight. No ribs in sight or to touch and a waist that's only slightly visible. I was feeding her less so she would lose weight but her breed analysis says that 53 pounds is her projected genetic weight. I'm questioning how much I'm feeding her now. She panted a lot when I first brought her home and that has decreased somewhat. Short walks tire her out so she pants. She doesn't go up and down the steps in my house but is getting a little better about going up the seven steps to my front door after a walk. Other breeds that showed up in her Embark panel were Chow Chow and Shar-Pei -- thicker looking dogs.

She likes to eat paper fabric especially if it's on the floor. I can't drop anything! Early on she unrolled toilet paper from the bathroom into another room and was chomping on the end. She liked to eat strings from small hand towels at the rescue she was at.

She also ate small rocks when I first brought her home. That has stopped. Loves rabbit poop of course and she ate a suet cake that came out of the feeder that popped open during a high wind even. It was a night and I couldn't see what she was interested in. There was no getting it away from her and we both paid for that the next day.

She MUST get any food if it is dropped. So MUST Charlie so I separate them when feeding. She has connected with him twice when I made mistakes.

She drinks a lot of water but now less than when I first brought her home.

She has a tumor on her right side, It's hanging and actually looks like a tongue, a flatness to it versus round. It doesn't seem to bother her. I can touch it and 'examine' it. It's soft, kind of squishy.

She received a 1-year rabies vaccine and double everything else, first time in NC in July of this year and then in September here in PA.

It was reported by the rescue up here that she was spayed. The PA vet reported seeing a spay scar, however no other records indicate that she was. I couldn't find a scar. Last weekend I noticed blood drops throughout the house and she's so very interested in Charlie, much more than usual. I was also wondering about pyometra. Vet appointment coming up.

Charlie liked her more when he met her at the rescue than he does now that she's here. He can get away from her by going up steps to another floor in the house.

I think that's all for now, some pics are below.

Thanks for any feedback!

Kristen

Kendi - red rug.jpg K - lump.jpgdogs at the door.jpg

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Congratulations, Kristen! Kendi's beautiful and does look very happy!

I agree that she looks a bit heavy. Especially next to svelte Charlie.

I'll be very curious if she has the gene that predisposes labs to never get satiated after eating. Regardless, I'd expect her eating inedible objects, like paper and fabric, to improve as she balances out.

As you know, she's had a lot of changes in her life recently, and I'd expect the lifestyle changes and a bit of weight loss to improve her stair climbing and her fatiguing easily. Homeopathic treatment will help her body re-balance as best she is able.

Don't worry about the benign-looking tumor or double rabies at this time.

Just love her up (as I know you will) and please keep us updated on her.

lizkunz

All-Access Member
Registered
Congratulations on Kendi! He and Charlie make a fine pair. Both Kendi and Charlie hit the jackpot! Best of health to both. I'm looking forward to your updates.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom