• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Nose work for mental stimulation

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi everyone-

The wonderful Jen Bridwell just gave Archie and I his first nosework training.

For anyone who doesn't know, nosework is a fun, non-threatening and stimulating game for dogs (and people).

Nose (or scent) work is a game you play with your dog, which use the same skills to train drug and bomb dogs.

Today we just played with just the props of 3 cardboard boxes, a Kong, and some ZiwiPeak air-dried treats/food.

I held Archie back while he watched Jen put the boxes on the ground.

One of them contained a Kong filled with treats.

His job was to find the right box then get rewarded.

He furiously sniffed and ran from box to box until he found the Kong and got his treat.

That's it!

Here's the result: archie pooped after first nosework.JPGarchie pooped after first nosework.JPG

One popped and happy dog!

Jen advised to not play the game again with him for 2 days in order to raise its perceived value by Archie.

We're both looking forward to two days from now and playing again at our next lesson!

Dr. Jeff

Last edited:

kristen_acri

All-Access Member
Registered
I love this and will try it with Reyah. She's so quick to figure out the enrichment games offered online. I like the simplicity of cardboard boxes AND raising the value of the game!

tsharlo1

All-Access Member
Registered
Buxton loves nosework! These days when it is too cold for our regular walks we go to Home Depot and do nosework. He has fun searching for the scented Q-Tip hidden somewhere in the aisles.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Fantastic, let us know how Reyah likes the game Kristen!

Debbie, would you shoot and share a short video the next time you do nosework with Buxton?

Thanks.

Dr. Jeff

jenbridwell

All-Access Member
HA! Faculty
It was a blast as always working with both of you. It's fun seeing dogs get the object of the game in such a short time. I'm not surprised he was tired after the session- mental exercise is much more tiring for most dogs than physical exercise is. Like us, more exercise = more stamina physically. I'll shoot my next session with T and post it.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom