• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Non-toxic cat litter and kitten food recommendations

ChristineL

VIP Member
Registered
My husband and I rescued a kitten today - she or he (we couldn't tell!) may be about a month old. We have never been cat guardians before so this is our first! We are looking for non-toxic cat litter and kitten food (canned) recommendations. Please help! Thank you! @Dr. Jean Hofve @Dr. Jeff @Dr. Christina S__54951956.jpg

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
What a joyful time you are in for. Many joyous memories of times I rescued small kittens and watched them grow. You may want to even think of getting a second kitten so they can grow up together.

Litters - non toxic is important, as is sustainability. The clay litter is non-toxic, but the mining of it harms the planet, for example. One of our faculty, Dr. Jean Hofve has an article on her site - that covers many of these concerns. @Dr. Jean Hofve may have updated comments. Smart litter and pine litter may be the best. Is there a holistic pet store near you? Even a regular pet store. See what they carry. Shipping heavy litter is not the best.

Feeding - we recommend you begin right away with a fresh food diet - read more in the nutrition section of the 101 course.

Buy Anitra Frazier's book, The Natural Cat and listen to both her webinars. Coming May 13 will be the two crazy cat ladies webinar - not to miss.

Start now to get kitty to love having ears, paws, mouth, butt examined. Kitty nails can be very sharp, so keep them trimmed.

Consider pet insurance as starting when they are young saves money in the long run. do a search as we have had several webinars on the topic.

And begin to explore who will be your holistic veterinarians.

Dr. Christina

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Congratulations on your new baby Christine and thank you for rescuing her!

Dr. Christina gave you some ideas to start designing her holistic and non-toxic life.

I would just add that whatever litter you choose should also be based on cost, accessibility and sustainability for you and Mason.

BTW- if you look at the kitty from behind and lift her tail you’ll either see two dots like a “colon” or a semicolon. The former i shows that he is likely a boy, the latter is a girl.

Have fun with your new kitty 😍😻She’s a lucky little girl (or boy). 🐱

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
BTW-I can't wait to see the precious pictures after she adopts Hope as her new mom (besides you of course)!

ChristineL

VIP Member
Registered
Thank you, @Dr. Christina and @Dr. Jeff - She's quite a handful (no pun intended :cat2:) - We switched her from canned food (Ziwi Peak) to frozen raw food (Quest - it came highly recommended: Raw Cat Food Archives). We will add frozen raw by Viva and SmallBatch in her rotation. She also gets raw goat milk in each meal.

We settled on this litter by Okocat (ökocat Litter: The Natural Choice for Your Cat | Premium site) - @Dr. Jean Hofve - your thoughts? We will get Sustainably Yours as you recommended in your article.

Any recommendations on litterBOXes? I've read that cats prefer an enclosed area...there are so many types to choose from!!!!

How about scratchers and chew toys? I've also read that the typical cardboard scratch pads are not ideal...I've found these online - what do y'all think? Peekaboo Cat Cave and Enrichment for Cats - Two Crazy Cat Ladies - the cat cave can also be found on Amazon Amazon.com

Attachments

• 507009426612813841.mov
    2.2 MB
Last edited:

ChristineL

VIP Member
Registered
BTW-I can't wait to see the precious pictures after she adopts Hope as her new mom (besides you of course)!
Hope was so kind and patience with the kitten until the kitten scratched her tail :confused: - now she's afraid of the kitten most of the time!

Attachments

• 507009984421953907.mov
    1.7 MB

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Actually cats do *not* prefer an enclosed space for litter boxes, they would rather be able to see around them in case a bear (or in my neighborhood, a mountain lion) is sneaking up on them! They should be easily accessible, and available on every level of the home if there's more than one floor. The rule is 1 box per cat +1. I don't recommend covered boxes. This holds odors and dust in; and out of sight being out of mind, it's too easy to forget to scoop and keep them very clean.

Many cats really like the horizontal or slightly angled cardboard scratchers. It's a very individual preference. They're inexpensive and easy to replace, so that is a benefit to the wallet. Carpeted posts aren't great but can be made better with sisal rope, which gives the claws something to really grip.

I can't really tell much from the Okocat website; it is very vague about the source and type of wood, so I can't really assess it.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom