• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

New kids on the block with the 'trots'

catdoc

Community Member
Registered
I have three new rescue kitties, a mom and her 2 babies. The shelter from which the little family came, had administered Prantel Puppy (for internal parasites) to both kittens on April 22nd, and Revolution Spot-on to one of the kittens May 16th. The mom received Alben on April 8th. I adopted them Jun 6th and they all had dreadful diarrhea, completely watery, very pale in colour and smelled so bad I could have used a gas mask when I cleaned them!

Based on what Dr. Pitcairn suggested in his book, I gave each of them one dose of Cal Carb, 30C. Their stools firmed up a bit but is still very soft and still smells HORRIBLE. The colour is still quite pale. Their BEAM is very good and other than the continued really soft stool (which still smells horrible) they seem to be ok. They were on a diet of kibble while at the shelter and I immediately switched them to quality canned food. I am also in the process of converting the entire tribe (4 dogs and 11 cats) to a homemade raw food diet, however, I am still finishing up my research on this as I don't want to make mistakes and short change their nutritional needs. I am wondering if there is anything further I can do for their stool situation, or just let it resolve over time. In light of the fact I will be converting them to a raw food diet, I am wondering if I will continue with the loose stool issue.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
There is absolutely more that you can do!

Fantastic that you will be converting them to a raw food diet.

Fresh food feeding alone can resolve (and prevent) many problems with diarrhea, vomiting, etc.

Was the April 22 pyrantel ever repeated, or there stools checked for parasites?

You might also want to read more about the 4 Awe-some As, as one of them dosed up to 3x in a day, might be indicated and resolve this putrid-smelling diarrhea.

For example, here's a Materia Medica passage about Arsenicum:

Materia medica - Arsenicum album - Stool and anus - Diarrhoea after eating or drinking; evacuations putrid; white; undigested; painless; stool acrid, stinking, undigested, vomited,

All of the symptoms of a homeopathic medicine do not need to be present in your pet...

catdoc

Community Member
Registered
Hi Dr. Jeff. To the best of my knowledge, the April 22nd Pryantel was not repeated and from looking thru their "carnet" (Spanish for chart) they were not checked for internal parasites. I think the shelter makes the assumption that all strays they find have internal parasites. One of the Homeopathic meds also suggested by Dr Pitcairn is Arsenicum, and since we are still dealing with loose stinky stool, I will try the Arsenicum.

Up until I had the good fortune to find you folks, I relied on Dr Pitcairn's book to help solve my pet health issues.

Another issue is just cropping up as well, and that is bald spots that have a crust are appearing on the forehead of one of the kittens and on the left ear of the other. Mom cat has a weepy discharge, watery but reddish in colour, from her left eye, so back to my repertory I go.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks for the kind words.

HA! supporting your Vitality-based pet care is so important to us!

Were the kittens vaccinated (and if so, how often).

Please let us know their response to Ars.

Also, apple cider vinegar twice/day would be great to dab on the balding skin spots.

catdoc

Community Member
Registered
Mom cat had Sterile Diluetin Feb 2018 and Feb 2019 as well as the trifecta of Feline Rhinotracheitis, Calici-Panleukopenia, Clamydia Psittaci vaccine, Feb 2018 and Feb 2019 and of course Rabia Aug 2018.
The babies had Felocell 3 and Feligen May 2019. They were also given Prantel in April 2019. (the names of these vaccines might be in Spanish but I think it translates fairly well) They are done with vaccines as far as I am concerned. Do I need to consider rabies shots for the 2 babies? They are 4 months old.

A guy from the city came to the door this morning wanting to drop pellets in any standing water I have to kill mosquitos who possibly carry dengue. I told him no, I can take care of the situation myself. There are lots of swallows and dragonflies who look after things here and I don't have any open stagnant water around anyway.

I know they fog outside on the street from time to time, when I hear them coming, I herd all the livestock into the house and close all the windows and doors. The stuff they use smells vile!

It would appear the Arsenicum is working. Only one solid tootsie roll type stool in the boxes this afternoon (they received the Arsenicum this morning)

I will try the apple cider vinegar on the bald spots. Thank you.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Great choice to opt out of the pesticide to kill mosquitoes and to herd the animals inside when they spray. ?

It's a real pity that manmade contamination of our environment continues.?

Fantastic to hear that the kitties are improving with Ars.

Regarding rabies vaccination, what are the local laws and the risk?

Are your kitties indoor/outdoor? Is there lots of rabies around?

All medical decisions are based on risk vs. benefit.

It depends (on the context).
:dog2:

catdoc

Community Member
Registered
Yes, it is a pity about manmade contamination :mad2:

No laws in place regarding rabies vaccines. All the critters are indoor/outdoor. so there is some risk attached. I see the vet tomorrow on another matter, so I will ask him about rabies risk here in the Yucatan. Yes, it does depend. Most of the flock has had one rabies shot because, before, when I was running the place as a B and B, guests would ask me about rabies vaccines. In order to be truthful, I had all of them given one shot so I could say yes, they have all been vaccinated.

catdoc

Community Member
Registered
Hi Dr. Jeff. the webinar last night was great. To follow up the chat we started regarding my latest adopted kitties & their chronic diarrhea. I posted on the forum back in June about the issue and you suggested Arsenicum. I gave them Ars. 30C once a day for 3 days, things started to look better(so I stopped) but in the last week, diarrhea has come back with a vengeance. Last night, you suggested I use Merc and since they have been on Ars. 30C once a day again for the past 3 days, can I switch them to Merc? I checked my Materia Medica (Murphy) and there is no indication Merc follows well with Ars. In looking at Merc. it sure seems to fit the condition of their stool (all 3 of them) Would it be better if I waited for 2-3 days before starting them on Merc? I am thinking of the 30C potency, once a day until I see improvement. I have not changed their diet in any way to provoke a new bout of "the trots"

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom