• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

New Feral Kitten

L

Leslie

I have a new feral kitten that I am feeding a combination of canned, dry and raw to try and cover nutrients until I can line up sourcing for raw and get some supplements. So far, I have given her raw muscle meat only. She's had beef, chicken and fish, all of which she loves. After reading posts and watching a few videos, I still have several questions:

1. I went through several very frightening experiences with puppies gulping down raw bones whole. Do I need to worry about kittens and cats doing the same thing? Are there any specific bones that I shouldn't give like I did with my dogs?
2. What kinds of bones are most recommended for cats?
3. What is the recommended ratio of muscle meat/organs/bones for kittens/cats?
4. Do I use her weight to determine how much to feed her?

Thank you!

Deena

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi Leslie! Congrats on your new feral. Here are my thoughts based on my personal experience.

1. Gulping bones whole - I've had the opposite problem with cats. Teaching them to chew bones. Especially if kibble/canned is all they know. But if she's been living on her own and catching her own food, this should be a non-issue for you. If it is, and she comes close to you, do like with a puppy and hold onto one end of the RMB until she learns to chew.

2. What bones are best for cats - How big is she? I had a cat that ate most bones my dogs did, including turkey necks, but this was an exception. I would start with small birds and fish like cornish game hens, frozen sardines, smelts, etc. She should be able to eat all parts of a cornish game hen. Cut up into meal size portions. Or feed it whole, see how she does, the fridge the rest for another meal. If the leg bone is too hard for her, cut it off and eat it yourself. Chicken necks, hearts, gizzards and liver is great. Some farms sell these separately. Use ground food to fill in the animals and parts that are too big for her to eat like beef, lamb, goat, etc.

3. I use the ratio of 75-80% muscle meat (including heart & tripe), 10-15% bone, and 10% liver/kidney/spleen for all my carnivores. Give or take depending on the individual animal. Some need more of 1 and less or another.

4. With my dogs and cats, I use body condition rather than a number to determine ideal amount. Much depends on their individual metabolism and activity. I want to be able to easily feel ribs but not see them. If you need a #, I would start with 3% of body weight for indoor and 5% for outdoor kitties.

Good Luck....Deena

L

Leslie

Thanks so much for all the great info, Deena. Very helpful!

I think she's about 10-12 weeks old, just guessing (most recent photo attached). I offered her a chicken leg yesterday where most of meat had been taken off and she immediately took to knawing on her end!

20190815_214837.jpg

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks for the fantastic post Deena!:thumbsup:

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom