• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Need help with symptoms in Repertory

JoannC

VIP Member
Registered
Dr Jeff and Dr Christina and anyone who may be able to help me find the right rubric for Teddy’s behavior that occurs 5 nights out of the 7, and starts like clockwork anywhere from 3:30 to 4 am and lasts for about 2 hrs. Other than this time period Teddy’s mood is 95%.His BEA is 100%. Briefly, Teddy on 4/15 had cluster forbrain seizures that landed him in the hospital, blinding him for 2 days. Since then no breakthrough despite the tampering of Phenobarbital.

He and his brother always played about 1 or 2 am, and I closed my door, but after the seizure and slowly tapering him down because he was very sleeping on 22 mg a day, he is now at 3 mg in am and 4 mg at 9 pm. He is also on CBD, by rx vitamins 4 mg in am and 4 mg at 6pm. I tried to change the time of cbd dosing from 11 pm to 6pm but he still gets up, like clock work. As you know he is on phosphorus a quip daily of diluted solution, Ubiquinol 10 mg a day, cucurmin and feline cardiac support, half tab full tab constipates him.

SYMPTOM. Since May, which is when I did lower the dose to what it is today of phenobarbital, Teddy wakes up like clockwork every morning between 3:30 and 4 am. This episode of energy lasts almost 2 hrs, then he goes back to sleep.

It’s like something startles him and he becomes highly energetic. He starts this high soft voice cat call calling out to his brother like he wants to play. Then when he does wake Timmy up, he lays down like the victim, and when Timmy wrestles him, that is when he gets aggressive with him. They don’t hurt each other yet, but I do hear some yelps. If I get up to massage him, his muscles are relaxed, but he will only let me deep massage for about 4 minutes then jumps off like something is calling him, and has small bursts of energy runs, then stops suddenly, , like when he was a kitten, then claws at cat tree like he has a lot of energy built up inside him? He is slightly highly excitable, but so is his brother after he is roused up. His pupils are dilated with very little green left. Sometimes he does not want to be held but chooses to meow and pace back and forth but again, if I get up he will interact with me and when I call him he comes, so he knows what going on.

I cannot find the right rubric for this behavior and would love some input so when I talk with Dr Judy I can describe it better. He did have an echocardiogram on 8/1. The results are:

Echo results. Fair to good prognosis.
The patient has mild changes to the heart which may indicate early hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Juvenile HCM is rare (and typically occurs in very young kittens), but possible. An infectious or inflammatory cause of disease cannot be ruled out. Systemic hypertension seems unlikely, as the patient had normal blood pressure at VSES and on recheck at VMC today.

It is recommended that further testing for infectious disease (specifically Bartonella) be considered if this fits in with the rest of the clinical profile. Otherwise, continue to monitor the patient and recheck an echocardiogram in 12 months if there are no other concerns. If the disease state is the same or worsened at that time, then idiopathic HCM is the most likely cause of the thickened left ventricle.

Last question for Dr Jeff and Dr Christina, when Teddy was a kitten he did come from a flea infested home, did have trace for round worms, of course treated and now negative, but could this Bartonella bacteria be the cause of his seizure to begin with, although when hospitalized blood work did not match the infection type? I wonder also if there is a genetic disposition in cats that renders them susceptible to this disease. Lastly would adding Di Tan Tang, like neurologist suggested in April help this behavior.

Thank you, I know this is a lot but I am beginning to be sleep deprived and can not find an answer to this behavior. Could the massive seizure done some damage and this is permanent?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi JoAnn-

Thanks for your long and detailed post.

Yes, that energy boost at ~4am may be very significant.

It certainly is very characteristic, Persistent and Prominent.

There are certain individuals and homeopathic medicines that get energy boosts, or other symptoms, at certain times of the day.

This is governed by their circadian rhythms which help control the body.

It's a great and useful symptom (something happening at 4am or any particular time) but unfortunately is too small to be very useful in Kent.

However, here's what Synthesis has:

GENERALS - NIGHT - midnight - after - 4 h: (48) Alum. alumn. am-m. anac. apis Arn. aur. Borx. both-a. bry. Caust. CEDR. chel. coloc. Con. cycl. eup-per. ferr. ferr-p. haliae-lc. hep. Ign. kali-bi. kali-c. kali-cy. lach. Lyc. mag-c. MED. Mur-ac. nat-act. Nat-c. Nat-m. nit-ac. NUX-V. penic. phor-t. podo. Puls. rad-br. rumx. sep. sil. stann. Sulph. tanac. verat. xan.

Here's what I think about why it started when it did and what to do about it.

First, it probably started when it did because the higher dose of phenobarb, was dampening Teddy's Vital Force.

When you decreased the dose, it allowed his symptoms to manifest.

This is one of the unintended effects of any drug.

It is also a potential effect of a supplement and is the reason why it's so important to evaluate response.

Regarding what to do, if his BEAM and all else is doing great and you are slowly weaning the drugs (and symptom-covering supplements like CBDs) then Dr. Judy may want to continue what you're already doing.

Alternatively, this might be a useful rubric for finding a complementary remedy to Phos.

BTW-What happened with Teddy's "polycythemia"??

JoannC

VIP Member
Registered
Hi JoAnn-

Thanks for your long and detailed post.

Yes, that energy boost at ~4am may be very significant.

It certainly is very characteristic, Persistent and Prominent.

There are certain individuals and homeopathic medicines that get energy boosts, or other symptoms, at certain times of the day.

This is governed by their circadian rhythms which help control the body.

It's a great and useful symptom (something happening at 4am or any particular time) but unfortunately is too small to be very useful in Kent.

However, here's what Synthesis has:

GENERALS - NIGHT - midnight - after - 4 h: (48) Alum. alumn. am-m. anac. apis Arn. aur. Borx. both-a. bry. Caust. CEDR. chel. coloc. Con. cycl. eup-per. ferr. ferr-p. haliae-lc. hep. Ign. kali-bi. kali-c. kali-cy. lach. Lyc. mag-c. MED. Mur-ac. nat-act. Nat-c. Nat-m. nit-ac. NUX-V. penic. phor-t. podo. Puls. rad-br. rumx. sep. sil. stann. Sulph. tanac. verat. xan.

Here's what I think about why it started when it did and what to do about it.

First, it probably started when it did because the higher dose of phenobarb, was dampening Teddy's Vital Force.

When you decreased the dose, it allowed his symptoms to manifest.

This is one of the unintended effects of any drug.

It is also a potential effect of a supplement and is the reason why it's so important to evaluate response.

Regarding what to do, if his BEAM and all else is doing great and you are slowly weaning the drugs (and symptom-covering supplements like CBDs) then Dr. Judy may want to continue what you're already doing.

Alternatively, this might be a useful rubric for finding a complementary remedy to Phos.

BTW-What happened with Teddy's "polycythemia"??

Thank you for your words of wisdom. All of Teddy’s local Dr, the internal medicine and neurology and even cardiologist do not address the polycemia, but are waiting and watching! Dr Koch, local internal medicine wants to now have Teddy have a second abdominal CT to further explore if he has an insulinoma, or find beta cells which is again very difficult to dx , they are all are not addressing polycythemia.

Teddy eats his last meal at 11pm and does not eat again until 6:30, so the dx of hypoglycemia if given a blood test would still be there but he is not showing clinical signs. He surprisingly has not gained weight and he has not lost weight despite eating a fourth meal.
Timmy put a bit more on but I divide his portions so the amount stays the same.

The one thing I have noticed is that they do cuddle a bit more like they use to and at night now he still wakes but because Timmy is not engaging him he goes back to sleep after 45 minutes or so. If they do play, their play it’s like it was when they were kittens.? Highly energetic running around!

Thank you again and again for helping me and Dr Judy as a unified team to figure this out! It is a mystery, I forgot to mention that red line on his gum above the one front tooth is gone.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're welcome JoAnn.

Good news about the high energy during play!

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
When you focus on the totality of symptoms, as you are doing, there are many good changes:
  • They do cuddle a bit more like they use to
  • He still wakes but because Timmy is not engaging him he goes back to sleep after 45 minutes or so.
  • If they do play, their play it’s like it was when they were kittens. Highly energetic running around!
  • The red line on his gum above the one front tooth is gone
All these are good indications.
Dr. Christina

JoannC

VIP Member
Registered
Dr Jeff and Dr Christina, is it possible that the phosphorus I gave at 4 pm has an effect on Teddy at 4am. Dr Judy is helping me and wants Teddy to stay on the phosphorus but try moving it to 6pm which I have done for the past 4 nights. It is a gradual change and I am at 5:30 now. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that he wakes up now later at 4:45. But he does wake up every night. He meows, like he is trying to call out to something, and his eyes are very dilated, he does come when called and loves a strong massage but only for a few minutes. He frightens easily and is on the alert looking for Timmy like he is highly aware and sensitive. His aggression is calmed down, he no longer fights with Timmy but can get into a good run with him sometimes, mostly during the day. Very odd behavior, like something is up but he doesn’t know what. After 20 minutes he settles back down. He is on daily reishi mushroom powder, pinch, SFN, pinch, Ubiquinol 10 mg and feline cardiac support only half a tab, full tab constipates him. Is it possible that a mirror of daytime remedy after 12 hrs something happens? He still gets phenobarbital 3 mg in am and 4 mg in evening and cbd 11 and 11. Any thoughts are appreciated. I wonder if there is something better to use than feliway plug in? From last night I was thinking of a diffuser and something to diffuse in the air from an essence? Something to calm during the night?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi JoAnn!

Yes, it certainly is possible.

As you know, homeopathic medicines work very deeply by helping Teddy's Vitality best express itself through symptoms (like his waking overnight).

Sometimes we need to tolerate the symptoms until internal balance is restored.

Regarding calming for overnight, yes a Flower Essence before bed, moving his CBDs to later, melatonin, etc. can all help his sleep.

Please talk to Dr. Judy about any of these or other possibilities such as dosing less frequently.

JoannC

VIP Member
Registered
Thank you Dr Jeff. I will. Teddy is now waking up exactly an hour later because I am giving the phosphorus an hour later. I really think the waking up is connected to the dosing. Thank you.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're welcome JoAnn!

I agree that Teddy's waking is related to the dosing.

This is a great sign that the homeopathic medicine is working!

JoannC

VIP Member
Registered
Thank you! I am going to see how the next week goes and then Dr Judy and I will talk. It would be so wonderful to get Teddy’s vitality and balance in harmony!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom