• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Need Creative Bandaging Ideas

kristen_acri

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi all! Looking for ideas on how to deal with my 11-year-old Springer Spaniel, Reyah. She has a large mammary tumor that I'm addressing with @Dr. Jeff. It's located in front of her back right leg. Reyah is able to lick the tumor and she has licked a small area open, about 1 x 1.5 inches. She's now wearing an inflatable collar (ZenCollar) which helps with the licking although she's mortified.

Second issue is that she's able to scratch the tumor with her right back leg. The tumor now drips blood possibly due to her scratching it open or catching it with her claw or the tumor is just plain opening up. Regardless, it's bleeding. I laid some sterile gauze on the area that's bleeding and secured it with non-stick wrap, wrapping it around her body. The wrap wouldn't adhere to itself with her moving around so I've added packaging tape. Good grief!

Any other creative ideas for the bandaging piece? I know I have to balance between wet and dry with wounds. I was hoping to prevent her from scratching and opening more areas. Maybe there's another way to look at this. I don't mind cleaning up the blood drops around the house.

I've ordered Nexderma Stem Gel for the open areas. It should be here tomorrow.

Thanks for any and all insights!

Kristen

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Kristen-

That's a difficult area to bandage. Especially with a large dangling tumor like Reyah has.

What might work is a light T-Shirt that you pull over her head and which goes around her entire body.

Something like this:

With the tumor tucked inside.

If she pulls off the light covering, there's always Lycra bodysuits:

lizkunz

All-Access Member
Registered
I've used k9topcoats in the past and they worked great. I didn't have luck with the t shirt. They eventually stretch. My best to you and Reyah.

kristen_acri

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you both! She was wearing a t-shirt when I first brought her home with an ulcerating mammary tumor years ago so I've already tried one. I used one of my old t-shirts and actually think I need a child's shirt. And maybe putting something absorbent inside. I wasn't able to find the exact k9 top coat pictured but I"ll keep looking. She went crazy with a thundershirt, tried to rip it off.

She doesn't like all of the things I'm trying and her BEAM is changing. Low energy, not happy. She stopped doing steps today and I had to lift her up onto the sofa.

Tough times right now.

Thanks again!

AmyFeinman

HA! Faculty
I suggest a thundershirt which you can buy online at many price points. Also a weight loss wrap you put around your waist might work, they have Velcro. Marshall’s has them for people.

kristen_acri

All-Access Member
Registered
Thanks @amyland -- I found a washable diapers that I used for my big lab a few years ago and wrap them around her the opposite way that they're supposed to be used. Putting nonstick gauze inside for absorption. They look like this:

Cleansing with goldenseal and using the Stem Gel green tea extract. And we're both using Rescue Remedy! Reyah is choosing to drink from her water bowl with the RR. I'm glad to see that. I've been on an emotional roller coaster and finally feeling more settled today.

I tried a thundershirt with her before for storms. She had a terrible response to it, jumping around and trying to pull it off. I didn't push it. Things that wrap or hold/support her tumor seems best.

Thanks again everyone -- see some of you Monday night!

Kristen

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
You are so innovative!!

It is always a good idea to have a fresh bowl of water in addition to one with flower essences, or tarter product, or anything else in it.
Dr. Christina

AmyFeinman

HA! Faculty
Thanks @amyland -- I found a washable diapers that I used for my big lab a few years ago and wrap them around her the opposite way that they're supposed to be used. Putting nonstick gauze inside for absorption. They look like this:

Cleansing with goldenseal and using the Stem Gel green tea extract. And we're both using Rescue Remedy! Reyah is choosing to drink from her water bowl with the RR. I'm glad to see that. I've been on an emotional roller coaster and finally feeling more settled today.

I tried a thundershirt with her before for storms. She had a terrible response to it, jumping around and trying to pull it off. I didn't push it. Things that wrap or hold/support her tumor seems best.

Thanks again everyone -- see some of you Monday night!

Kristen
Excellent Holistic Action!!! You have to be creative :dog2:

kristen_acri

All-Access Member
Registered
You are so innovative!!

It is always a good idea to have a fresh bowl of water in addition to one with flower essences, or tarter product, or anything else in it.
Dr. Christina

@Dr. Christina -- I always do because I learned that from you! I used to keep a small bowl of water with Flea Free in it along with her regular water. The fleas are pretty much gone and she started drinking from the regular water bowl. Now I have RR in her large bowl and that's where she goes. Amazing!

M

mhassine

I'd try a toddler's diaper possibly secured by a small C-Section/Hysterectomy surgery recovery belt or a light brace --but not too tight. Arnica Montana 30ch is great for reducing anxiety. Clean compresses and cleaning with calendula diluted in nursery water.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom