• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Nail Trimming

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
During Monday's webinar with Dr. Deb, nail trimming methods were discussed in the chat room. My recent rescue pup has black nails and I am afraid to trim her nails myself. A few gadgets were suggested by members in the chat group...I think a nail filing mat was mentioned. Does anyone know what it is? Does it work?

This? BECKKY-BOARD: NAIL TRIM MAT FOR DOGS

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I too don't know about a nail trimming mat.

The Beckky board may indeed be what was meant by this. It looks pretty cool, but wonder if it works.

You can also use a regular nail file, Dremel or rough sandpaper. Filing works well for black nails.

Dr. Sara

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
You can make a board covered with sandpaper, and teach the pup to file their nails themselves. You need patience to train them, though there are some good YouTube videos showing how to do it!

Last edited:

ivegrgas

All-Access Member
Registered
You can make a board covered with sandpaper, and teach the pup to file their nails themselves. You need patience to train them, though there are some good YouTube videos showing how to do it!
If anyone has figured out how to teach them to use their back legs, I would be immensely grateful!

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
And I would love to hear about the successes people have getting their pets to LOVE, or at least tolerate, having nails cut at home.
Dr. Christina

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
VERY gradually:) Start in a relaxed mode, with lots of the customary massage, petting, handling of every body part, with lovely rewards - and lots of loving explanation: "Now, I'm going to hold your little paw...." and just gently hang onto it for a few seconds, release, and thank profusely with treats. A few days of this, without trying to cover every single paw or location each time, until it becomes routine. Next step, of course, will be to touch the paw or toe with the tool - turned off if it's a grinder, or just a tiny touch/drag if it's a file. Do a few locations each time, and follow with much praise and a happy dance. You might wish to pick a nice comfy, sunny, location to do this exercise each day. Be sure to name the action, saying, "Wow, what a great job letting me touch your toe(s)!" Also be sure to describe what you are going to do BEFORE you do it: "Now I'm going to touch your toe with the grinder..." "GOOD job, letting me touch your toes with the grinder..." Be specific - not just "Good girl!", but NAME the job done!

Do not rush this process; you have a lifetime to get it right. Collaborate, don't force it. Use LOVELY treats! I've always gone with tiny pieces of meat: liver, chicken, muscle meat. I toss the slices in a hot pan, then cut into tiny bits. Make this whole process a celebration; an anticipated ritual. ....Somewhere I have a photo of my two guys, fighting over who gets to go first:)

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Super good, Ginny.
Thanks for taking the time to be so detailed.
Yes - a celebration!
Dr. Christina

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom