• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

My dog is displaying signs of kidney disease

KathyS

All-Access Member
Registered
This weekend I noticed that my dog was peeing a lot more and also drinking more water. I'm wondering if he has kidney disease on top of heart disease. The earliest I could get him into the vet was next Tuesday, October 13. Please let me know if you have any suggestions. Thanks!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Kathy. How's his BEAM? Any other symptoms like weight loss, vomiting, etc?

How old is he and besides heart dis-ease (mitral valve? DCM? or...) what are his other health challenges?

BTW-Check to see if you can run him in for a blood draw or to check a urine sample.

If you can't, you might want to buy OTC strips that check for sugar and protein in his urine. These are home tests for diabetes mellitus and kidney problems.

KathyS

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you Dr. Jeff. The dog is healthy overall besides the heart disease i.e. no vomiting or weight loss. Thanks again!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Sorry to not see your question until now, Kathy.

Thanks for asking about BEAM! ?

BEAM is 4 symptoms that you can observe at home which help you shine a light on your pup's quality of life, vitality and internal balance.

It stands for Behavior, Energy, Appetite, Mood. You can find lots more about it on the forum and all the resources.beam.jpeg

Here's a few to get you started:

Here's a forum search results for BEAM:

KathyS

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you Dr. Jeff!

I just found out that my dog Peanut has a pretty nasty bladder infection that could have gotten to his kidneys. His blood work was normal with some increased SDMA and creatine. His UA was normal. So I got some antibiotics and got him a urine culture to make sure it was the appropriate antibiotic. My concern is this: The dog has a propensity for bladder infections if he's not on the right diet. For years he was on the UA Royal Canine prescription diet for his bladder infections. The cardiologist changed him from a UA Royal Canine prescription diet to a Hills prescription for cardiac conditions due to the high sodium in the UA diet. The diet he has now is the best for his heart. And without that, I'm not sure he would even be here right now. Currently, I'm feeding him chicken hearts for breakfast. And advacado, carrot and some cooked cauliflower in the evening with either chicken or fish. I've also been giving him more chicken bones. Not sure what activated the bladder infection. With the UA diet he never got the bladder infections. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Kathy-

In case you have not seen my reply already, it is in your other post:

KathyS

All-Access Member
Registered
The urine culture came back from my dog and he doesn't have a bladder infection after all. He is still drinking more than usual and consequently peeing more than usual. The vet also stated there was some blood in his urine and suggested that I get an ultra sound to find out more. I'm wondering if I should wait since his BEAM is so good right now, but I know a good part of this is due to the cool weather (I'm in central Texas).

KathyS

All-Access Member
Registered
The vet stated that frequent urinating and drinking along with blood in the urine, coupled with increased SDMA and creatine (within the reference interval) could be a sign of kidney cancer. Curious to get feedback.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Good morning Kathy.

Yes, an ultrasound performed by an internist is a great idea. Hopefully like the urine culture, it will come back normal.

However, despite the normal test results, there is still an underlying internal imbalance that can be proactively addressed.

You can do this by using the abnormal symptoms, even f there is no definitive diagnosis.

Internal symptoms like SDMA and creatinine, and external ones like drinking a lot or any change in BEAM, are useful clues that physiological homeostasis (balance) is out of kilter.

There are also specific holistic actions, like homeopathy, that can help correct it.

As balance improves, so too will abnormal internal and external symptoms.

It would be great to start keeping track of these symptoms in a journal and by home monitoring of urine testing as Sue showed in her video.

A great place to start is by adding an internist to your vet care team. S/he can do the ultrasound and lend their expert opinion about the next steps in conventional care.

Then you and your new homeopath can use the extra information to help decide about dosing of homeopathic medicines and other HMDM Step 3 actions.

Screen Shot 2020-10-31 at 10.07.34 AM.png

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom