• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

My Cat has Minimal Appetite

ChristineO

Community Member
Registered
  1. Your pet's name - Blazer
  2. Approximate age - 8 years old
  3. Sex - Male
  4. Neutering status - Neutered
  5. Breed - Domestic Short Hair
  6. Approximate weight - 9.7 lbs
  7. What's their BEAM (behavior, energy, appetite, mood) - Currently, he is playful, moderate energy but not much of an appetite
  8. Diet - Weruva can or pouches - he likes chicken
  9. Vaccination history / exposure to toxins, other medication - Some vaccines when he was young. Had a 3 year rabies shot last year, hasn't had other vaccines in several years now.
  10. Primary problem, when it began and if there was anything else happening around that time - Almost two months ago, I noticed that Blazer wasn't eating well. He used to have a big appetite and now was eating less. We went for his annual check-up in early October. I told the vet he wasn't eating very well and I was concerned. Vet thought he seemed. He hadn't lost weight since his last check up, he was around 10 lbs 5 oz then. We did blood work and urine. Vet called and left me a message telling me his labs looked good. As the next few weeks went on, I noticed he still wasn't eating well, mostly would lick the broth of his food. I kept scratching my head because his labs "looked good." Finally I thought he was losing weight. I brought a stool sample in to be checked. Vet called and said he had round worm. I thought maybe that was why he wasn't eating well. Vet told me that was probably not the reason why he wasn't eating well and there could be something more serious going on. I brought him back in. He had lost weight, was now 9 lbs 7 oz. We saw a different vet this time. This guy told me that he detected a heart murmur, which I was not told about a month earlier when he was there for his check-up. This vet gave Blazer fluids and we repeated labs. He couldn't get urine, but did get blood. In Oct Blazer's creatinine was 2.6 but his urine was very concentrated. Because his urine was so well concentrated back in October, they said this is why they didn't suspect kidney disease. This time - just last week - when they tested his blood, his creatinine was 2.2 (no urine test this time though). A few days ago, I took Blazer to Cardiologist for Echocardiogram and an ultrasound of his intestines and kidneys. He has a mild heart murmur, but structure of his heart looks healthy they said and no treatment for his heart murmur is necessary at this time. They didn't find anything remarkable on his Ultrasound of intestines and kidneys. So I am thinking, his poor appetite must be from his sluggish kidneys. Labs are attached. I am worried about him because he is not eating well and I do not want him to lose any more weight. I want to do everything possible to support him and his kidneys. We are going to see Dr. Jeff for an appt in about two weeks, but I am getting stressed about waiting that long since it's hard to get Blazer to eat. I have made him roast chicken and he doesn't eat much. Tomorrow I will go get some salmon to try. Any suggestions about what to do to help him would be appreciated. Thank you.
  11. Is the condition better or worse from exercise, heat, cold, time of day, certain foods, emotional upset, being touched, excitement, etc? No, his condition is pretty consistent for two months now.
  12. Has any diagnostic work been done? Diagnosis if available (you can attach your diagnostic tests to the post if you have them). Yes, echocardiogram and ultrasound - was told that both are fine.
  13. Current and previous treatment - Nothing at this time
  14. Other health concerns
@Dr. Jeff , @Dr. Christina, @Dr. Sara

Attachments

• O'day-Blazer__Medical history 2020-10-03 to 2020-10-03 copy.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • O'day-Blazer__Medical history 2021-10-02 to 2021-10-02[1] copy.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Do you have Anitra Frazier's book - the Natural Cat? I highly recommend every feline partner have it. She gives lots of ideas of tempting treats and how to force feed.

Over the years, have you offered a wide variety of "people" foods? Has Blazer tried to eat anything you were eating? You may know, then that some of my suggestions won't work here.

Oysters, clams, canned or fresh salmon, Dream Treats from Wysong, raw goats milk, any of the bone broths or make your own, cream cheese, potato chips (yep - some like the salt so you could use to tempt to eat other foods, butter, dried fish flakes (chinese grocer or go to your local holistic market or holistic pet store and get several of what they feel are the best treats. However, you never know what will tempt them as one patient of mine only ate broccoli when ill.

Dr. Christina

ChristineO

Community Member
Registered
Do you have Anitra Frazier's book - the Natural Cat? I highly recommend every feline partner have it. She gives lots of ideas of tempting treats and how to force feed.

Over the years, have you offered a wide variety of "people" foods? Has Blazer tried to eat anything you were eating? You may know, then that some of my suggestions won't work here.

Oysters, clams, canned or fresh salmon, Dream Treats from Wysong, raw goats milk, any of the bone broths or make your own, cream cheese, potato chips (yep - some like the salt so you could use to tempt to eat other foods, butter, dried fish flakes (chinese grocer or go to your local holistic market or holistic pet store and get several of what they feel are the best treats. However, you never know what will tempt them as one patient of mine only ate broccoli when ill.

Dr. Christina
Thank you, Dr. Christina. I will get this book and will try some of the foods you suggest. Going to the fish market today to get some fresh salmon I will cook for him later. Didn't know that about the potato chips or cream cheese. I did make some fresh bone broth the other day and he didn't want it.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom