• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Meet my Dog (Redux)

SusanI

All-Access Member
Registered
It’s been a few months. I’ll probably post this in a separate forum related to his problem, but here goes: since the beginning of July, Fluffy has had on-and-off diarrhea/mucusy poop. I can’t single out a main factor other than its been hot. His appetite isn’t affected at all, but when it’s going on he’s not his usual self and seems to change positions to get comfortable more. It’s more an issue of what goes in- comes out- though not repeatedly, Last week he seemed really back to normal. All I had done was give him a little extra pumpkin. I made slippery elm syrup and added that to his food too. So for like most of last week the problem seemed to be solved. Then Sunday it started again and he’s had mucusy poop a couple of times a day. I’m not sure if it’s because he ate something he shouldn’t (even this morning I caught him chewing a peanut shell, so...) Whereas before he was trying to eat asphalt when we went for walks and he has seemingly lost interest in THAT, thank goodness. Is stuff getting caught in his intestines? There’s no blockage- it comes out - it just comes out funky.

i used to feed him Answers and he would have this issue once In a while but it always straightened out right away. Since nobody here carries Answers now (and I don’t think I’d trust it now anyway) I switched him- first to Small Batch but that seemed to cause reflux so I switched to Primal. Three food changes in a month. But the Primal seems to agree with him- except for this now. I still tend to think it’s from an indiscretion but...well, he’s not telling me. I’m just not sure what to try next.

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Certainly both our speakers this month were addressing your issues, Susan.

When small changes help any symptom (like the stool), but then the symptom returns, it indicates you are merely palliating and not getting the deep energy balance needed. There is no one right answer. Much of what you have tried has completely resolved the problem for other animals.

The most important factor for a healthy gut is the microbiome. We can support that in many ways, such as fecal transplants (Dr. Margo Roman - www.mashvet.com) and animalbiome.com (capsules). Probiotics and prebiotics are good to help the biome. Fresh food, especially from local sources is good. Avoiding toxins (so glad he stopped eating asphalt!) is important, but as Dr. Marlene told us last night, can be almost impossible now.

Flower essences can help re-balance - several companies have digestive track combos - Greenhopeessences.com, jacksongalaxy.com/solutions, petessences.com and others.

Acupressure points can also be effective. Check out the books and youtubes of Amy Snow and Zidonas (who have done EHs on other conditions) and Four Paws Five Directions by Cheryl Schwartz.

If there are any other symptoms - skin, ear, eyes - it may be time for a homeopathic consult. Or just if you are ready to get this resolved more quickly in a way that builds vitality and balance.

Dr. Christina

SusanI

All-Access Member
Registered

When small changes help any symptom (like the stool), but then the symptom returns, it indicates you are merely palliating and not getting the deep energy balance needed. There is no one right answer. Much of what you have tried has completely resolved the problem for other animals.

The most important factor for a healthy gut is the microbiome. We can support that in many ways, such as fecal transplants (Dr. Margo Roman - www.mashvet.com) and animalbiome.com (capsules). Probiotics and prebiotics are good to help the biome. Fresh food, especially from local sources is good. Avoiding toxins (so glad he stopped eating asphalt!) is important, but as Dr. Marlene told us last night, can be almost impossible now.

Flower essences can help re-balance - several companies have digestive track combos - Greenhopeessences.com, jacksongalaxy.com/solutions, petessences.com and others.

Acupressure points can also be effective. Check out the books and youtubes of Amy Snow and Zidonas (who have done EHs on other conditions) and Four Paws Five Directions by Cheryl Schwartz.

If there are any other symptoms - skin, ear, eyes - it may be time for a homeopathic consult. Or just if you are ready to get this resolved more quickly in a way that builds vitality and balance.

Dr. Christina
Thank you! Yes, last night’s program was right on point!
In the past, his issues like this were more fleeting- he’d have this mucusy poop thing for a couple of days at most and then not for a while. I had a jar of acidophilus in my refrigerator that I completely forgot I had and rediscovered last night but it expired (supposedly) 1/21. I think it’s likely lost it’s effectiveness. One remedy I don’t have here is Arsenicum album and it seems it could be helpful based on what I read about it and his symptoms, etc. Though he’s not vomiting at all (thank goodness) He’s not dehydrated- scruff of his neck bounces right back if I pinch it.

i have a 15 minute chat scheduled with you tomorrow afternoon at 1:30. Looking forward to it.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi again Susan-

Do you have any cute pictures of your newish pup to post here (either in this thread or in the HA! media gallery)?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Handsome fella!

SusanI

All-Access Member
Registered

Dr. Christina
Thank you so much. I’m bringing a stool sample to the vet tomorrow to confirm or rule out parasites (and I know it could be inconclusive but it’s a start)

i do feel him ceasing to find asphalt appealing is a symptom onto itself. Why did he start? What made him stop? (I tried to stop him every time but yet he still managed to find a piece- he usually but not always dropped them after a bit or when we got home) He seems to have lost interest in it. I wonder if for all it’s purported goodness, the Answers was lacking something or the fermentation was the reason. His poop was almost always great on the Answers. He had this mucusy poop on occasion but only for at most a couple of days and rarely and could easily be attributed to something else. He did chew on a peanut shell he found even yesterday. But that he stopped trying to eat the asphalt baffles me (as much as it is a relief) and this mucusy poop coincided with him stopping trying to eat it pretty closely. I still wonder about the safety of the frozen raw in transport before I buy it when it’s been this hot (before the stores even get it) I haven’t detected freezer burn. I haven’t found anything about any Primal recalls.

We’ll see if the fecal test tells me anything and see where to go from there. It’s a start.

SusanI

All-Access Member
Registered
Have yet to hear back anything about the fecal test. His poops have become a bit more normal today anyway. Fingers crossed…

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom