• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Lovely but ouchy kitten scratches due to long nails

ChristineL

VIP Member
Registered
Hi @Dr. Jean Hofve and @Dr. Jeff,

All of us at home are getting beauty marks on our arms and legs that are graciously marked by our kitten...she has long and sharp nails!

What is the best way to trim a kitten's nails? We'd like to start trimming her nails at home and getting her used to this as early as possible. I have a tiny nail clipper but she would never sit still to let me cut her nails! I also have a grinder that I'd used on my pups - is it ok to use a grinder on kitten nails? I feel it may be safer if she jumps and runs away. Any tips and/or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
What is the best way to trim a kitten's nails?
Treats, positive reinforcement and lots of love and praise for being such a good kitty. Even if all you do is touch her feet.

Go slow.

Stop before she tries to scratch you.

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Keep in mind that you don't need to trim all 18 toes at once. One or two when she's sleepy is a great start. Do that every day or two and you'll make the rounds in good time! Definitely never make a "federal case" out of it. If she starts struggles, let her go right away. You want her to feel in control of the situation, otherwise it will scare her and make it worse.

ChristineL

VIP Member
Registered
Thank you, both! I had successfully trimmed all her nails (except those dew claws) in one setting! I will go slow and let her feel that she's in control :)

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yay! 😻 💅

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom