• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Lola the flabby Labby

jumstead1023

VIP Member
Registered
Since Lola’s appt with Dr Jeff June 14 she has lost 3 pounds. She will be 11 next month and currently 78.4 pounds. I have been very diligent about reducing her raw and adding in fruits n veggies but doesn’t seem to be helping that much. She is slowing down so increasing exercise is ?? Any ideas or is it just a VERY slow process?

IMG_7567.jpeg

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian

jumstead1023

VIP Member
Registered
I am glad that she has lost any weight but my additional concern is her hesitancy to jump into my work vehicle and not sure neck or rear leg soreness. She’s fine otherwise.
They laugh at her when getting weighed because she tries to lean on the wall to make her weigh less! Lol

Dr. Sara

VIP Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
Dear Judy,
Labs are certainly prone to obesity, even with careful weight control. I second Dr. Jeff's congratulations, and I am including a link to a paper discussing the genetic link to excessive appetite in Labs which contributes to this problem.
Overweight dogs tend to have stiff joints, so it often helps to give a brisk massage of the neck, back, and legs before asking for any exertion.
I would also suggest using steps to help her get in the vehicle. Even if she CAN make the leap, an 11 year old Lab - especially if spayed or neutered - simply has less ligament elasticity, and is more prone to damaging joints. This is compounded when she is carrying extra weight on those old joints.
I hope this helps!
Sara

jumstead1023

VIP Member
Registered
I have a ramp but it really doesn’t work for my work vehicle but I also got mounting steps (like getting on a horse) and she actually used those today. I also purchased the Luna Soothe 2 for all my dogs. People at work have actually noticed she has a bit more pep in her step.
Thanks

Dr. Sara

VIP Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
Obese dogs are stressing their joints, so I recommend joint supplements, as I do for senior dogs. Obesity also results in increased free radicals, so I recommend antioxidants; again, I suggest these for senior dogs as well. Personally I use Super Snouts Joint Power and VetriScience Immune Plus (was Cell Advance). There are many other possible products, and you likely have your favourites!
Dr. Sara

jumstead1023

VIP Member
Registered
Obese dogs are stressing their joints, so I recommend joint supplements, as I do for senior dogs. Obesity also results in increased free radicals, so I recommend antioxidants; again, I suggest these for senior dogs as well. Personally I use Super Snouts Joint Power and VetriScience Immune Plus (was Cell Advance). There are many other possible products, and you likely have your favourites!
Dr. Sara
Thanks

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Happy Day Lola! :snowman: ? :pup:

jumstead1023

VIP Member
Registered
Since Lola’s appt with Dr Jeff June 14 she has lost 3 pounds. She will be 11 next month and currently 78.4 pounds. I have been very diligent about reducing her raw and adding in fruits n veggies but doesn’t seem to be helping that much. She is slowing down so increasing exercise is ?? Any ideas or is it just a VERY slow process?

IMG_7567.jpeg
Today weighed 78

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yay! Little by little!

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Very good for the weight loss, even if slow. As Dr. Sara said, can be a big challenge in labs.
My concern is the slowing down.
Is she getting constitutional treatment from Dr. Jeff?
Maybe an intuitive session (with you or another) as to why she is slowing?
Other energy treatments?
Bemer mat?
Explore the many TTouch and PT exercises for improved mobility.

keep us posted on what makes her peppier.
Dr. Christina

jumstead1023

VIP Member
Registered
Thank you I will. This is Lola volunteering at a funeral. She was there for four hours and was more interactive with people that the others. I think she acts lazy when she is bored.

IMG_6971.jpeg

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
That is true for so many of us. Boredom or just the same old, some old, even if sort of fun may not get us interested. Maybe visiting farmers markets, or doing something with kids?
Dr. Christina

jumstead1023

VIP Member
Registered
As a therapy/comfort dog she is very active. Last week she attended a funeral and then two days later visited an assisted living facility. I’m actually monitoring her to make sure she still enjoys it and so far she does.

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Keep asking if there is anything else she wants. Use animal communication (have you taken a class?) or muscle testing. And of course you observations.
Dr. Christina

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom