• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Less than nutritious food

JaneS

VIP Member
Registered
I know that fancy feast is not the optimal food but that seems to be all my cats will eat. I have thrown away So much money on food that they will not eat. Is there any supplement I could add into this less than adequate food to make it not as dangerous for them to eat. I know that by products are cancer-causing and that is what is in all these foods please tell me if there’s anything I could add to the food to make it more nutritious for them.

Dr. Sue

Certified Veterinary Food Therapist
VIP Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
Hi Jane,

Great question! Yes, there are very simple ways to make the Fancy Feast more nutritious. For supplements I like the whole food organ and glandular supplement Feline Whole Body Support from Standard Process. It comes in tablets that you can either crush and mix with the food or tuna juice, hide in the food or offer as treats. Get one bottle and see how the cats like it. Start by mixing 1/4 tablet in with the meal and work up to 1-2 tablets per day.This one isn't available at the pet store, but you can order it online at my website www.thrivepetvet.com/store.
You can also start adding small fresh food toppers to their food - sardines (canned in water- this is a crowd pleaser), small pieces of cooked chicken or fish from your dinner plate, canned pumpkin, bone broth (remember no onions in the broth - Primal Pet Food makes a good broth). If you haven't tried the Stella and Chewy's freeze dried raw toppers you may try them too - I find that most cats can't resist.

Keep us posted!

Dr. Sue

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks for asking Jane. There's lots of things you can do.

In addition to Dr. Sue's super suggestions, you could try some Answer's Goat's milk on its own or mixed in the food. Another very palatable food topper to consider is one of these great gravies (both cats and dogs love them):

These may have dogs on the label, but most cats like them as well.

In addition, using Probi or GRP from ABC adds nutritive value and increases detox.

lizkunz

VIP Member
Registered
I recently ordered a variety of these. My dogs were starting to get picky. They still wolf down their Ziwi but they have been snubbing their nose at their fresh food dinner. I think perhaps I load too many supplements into it. These gravy's are great! Ernie and Penny love them. In additional to tasty it is also has functional ingredients.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom