• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Turkey tails in raw diet

LilF

Community Member
Registered
@Dr. Jean Hofve or any other doctor, I was looking at a raw food being reviewed and it lists Turkey Tails as the first ingredient in a turkey recipe. I thought turkey tails were thrown away and have never seen them in a turkey recipe before let alone as the very first ingredient as was in this food. I want to look into a processed food for Blossom because I don't think I am covering all her nutritional needs. She has been lethargic on her walks and puffing her cheeks like she is tired. I heard it said the only thing worse than a kibble diet is a homemade one that is not balanced. I add things but I also feel for humans and pets the food is so nutritionally empty of all the nutrients needed. I give her some of this and some of that but feel added vitamins and minerals would fill the gaps of food that has become void for human and animals.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Wow, great question Lil!

I've never heard of this either.

What's the name of the food?

Perhaps look into Small Batch raw, gently cooked or freeze-dried food.

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Dr. Jeff, I never heard of turkey tail in food. I have heard of turkey tail mushroom powder. To answer your question, the food is We Feed Raw and it is frozen. It is also in the duck formula. I always look at ingredients and never saw the turkey tail ingredient. When I looked it up, seems it is mostly fat if I understood correctly. I did purchase some Open Farm beef which I fed intermittently before but I prefer organic ingredients which it is not. I could try small batch. My other dog did not like it but this dog seems to eat anything that doesn't eat HER first :) Just as an aside, I wish these food companies would stop using the selenite form of selenium in the food.

Dr. Jean Hofve

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Sorry to chime in a bit late!

I first thought of turkey tail mushrooms too, but real turkeys certainly have tails. They could be processed into pet food, or any rendered poultry meal. They have a little muscle meat, a little fat, some skin, some bone--all part of what AAFCO calls "poultry" as a fresh ingredient, and if it's only turkey, it's rightly called "turkey," no qualifiers. I had a friend who loved turkey tails the best of the whole bird, but... to each their own!

I looked at the We Feed Raw website. It sounds like they use HPP, though they don't call it that. It does meet AAFCO nutrient profiles for both dogs and cats by analysis. Those standards are not perfect, but they at least assure adequate nutrition.

If all ingredients are handled properly throughout the process, a pet food could be called "human grade." However, the We Feed Raw website refers only to the meat as "human grade." For a pet food to be "human grade," every ingredient, at every stage from slaughter to your kitchen, must comply with strict federal regulations. For example, if they use a vitamin-mineral premix intended for pets, it is not human grade. While the legal definition has not been fully implemented, it is in the works. This will not be an allowed claim in the future.

And let me second Dr. Christina's caution to feed a variety! The Tufts University newsletter had an article about what happens when the store runs out of the only food your pet will eat. I've seen it happen. Best to never let your pet get used to (or addicted to) one thing!

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Thank you Dr. Jean!! The verbiage can be so misleading on human grade. I was fooled for sure. Thank you for teasing the entire thing out. Another thing I did not like about their food is mixing proteins. Like why include beef liver in the lamb recipe or turkey tails in the duck recipe. As they say on Shark Tank.... I'm Out! (on this food).It has taken me 5 dogs to learn variety which I am doing with Blossom. At least if something is amiss, it wasn't fed daily. I see now there was a recall, warning letter to Primal on the beef patties. I used to feed that for years. I appreciate your answer so much. I do hope they clarify the human grade definition soon so that people will not be hoodwinked by partial truth....Thank you

Dr. Jean Hofve

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
I have been in the AAFCO working group on the human grade definition for, oh, about four years now. I've fought long and hard to get the strictest definition possible, and I think the group did a pretty good job. If I recall correctly, it passed the Pet Food Committee in January. FDA is a voting member of the committee so they are on board. Then it will have to pass the Board of Directors, and a vote of the full membership. The soonest that could happen would be August 2023. I do not know what the phase-in period would be with a change this significant; although it affects only those few companies who continue their to-be-illegal claims. Usually a phase-in would be somewhere in the 6 month to 2 year range. That is lightning speed for AAFCO!

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Dr. Jean, I support your "activism" on this..... I did not know. This is a victory! The wheels of change move at a snails pace but better than not moving at all. Sure wish you could name the few companies whose gig will be up soon. We just have to read labels and then read between the lines. LOL lightning speed for AAFCO --- Clarity and truth should push companies to a higher standard... Thank you for your hard work for "animal-kind."

Dr. Jean Hofve

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
You are so welcome! I've been doing this for 20 years, it's a lot of work but having consumer representation has made a huge difference. Here we are at the Denver meeting in 2015, where I had the temerity to suggest that meat suppliers clean up their act, and they actually booed. But I just can't quit!
Screen Shot 2023-04-06 at 9.37.57 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-04-06 at 9.37.57 PM.png

Dr. Jean Hofve

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Clearly I don't understand how to post a photo, but at least I could tell you who we had in our illustrious group: (left to right) Nina Wolf, Dr. Cathy Alinovi, Mollie Morrissette, Roxanne Stone, Susan Thixton, Dr. Karen Becker, Dr. Judy Morgan, Dr. Jean Hofve, and Rodney Habib. Not in the photo is our photographer – B.C. Henschen of Platinum Paws.

LilF

Community Member
Registered
I recogniz some of the names...... It takes unwavering commitment and passion to keep the boot on the neck (metaphorically speaking) to get positive change. Think "Rocky Balboa". It takes a village of people like you Dr. Jean . I have a greater appreciation and hope for better food for my dog in the coming years. These companies should know that you all are not "going away quietly". Ha Ha Thanks for taking the time!!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom