• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

LDN, effective in so many ways

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
We're hearing a lot more about this all the time, so I thought I'd explain it a bit. LDN stands for "low dose naltrexone". Naltrexone is a drug first synthesized in 1967, as part of the ongoing search to discover morphine-like compounds useful for pain relief and opiate withdrawal. Naltrexone was a godsend for opiate withdrawal, and its use as a blocker of the opiate receptors in the body led to the refinement of dosing at the low levels of LDN, about 40x lower than the dose commonly used with opiate withdrawal treatments. The first immunological use of it was in AIDS patients, by Dr. Bernard Bihari in the mid-1980's. It was found to completely obviate the typical HIV destruction of the immune system. Research into how, exactly, it works continued, and key to this was the discovery of endorphin receptors, and later, toll-like, or TLR, receptors in both the peripheral and central nervous systems.

Briefly, a small dose of LDN, usually something on the order of 1.5 mg, is taken once daily. It attaches to the opiate receptors in the body and blocks their output of endorphins - the lovely natural painkillers treasured by both addicts and athletes:) Endorphins also regulate the immune system, and blocking the receptors briefly forces more manufacture of endorphins. The LDN blocks the receptors only briefly, about 4 hours, but this allows the increased endorphin production to act in an enhanced immunomodulatory way to correct immune system malfunction. This is a gross simplification of LDN's action; it acts also on TLRs, where its effect has proven to depress cell growth such as cancers.

Since many outward diseases are expressions of a malfunctioning immune system, LDN has a profound effect on major and minor immune issues, ranging from CFS, fibromyalgia, some thyroid diseases, IBD, Lupus, MS, depression, and autism spectrum disorders. Its use is well-documented these days, largely in the work of the LDN Research Trust (LDNResarchTrust.org). Many physicians - and yes, veterinarians - are prescribing LDN and monitoring patients with great success. Upon initial exposure to the idea, I was sure this was just another nasty painkiller, and was ready to reject it. My very astute MD shooed me back to research it more thoroughly, and I became convinced after only ONE dose. The body responds to the blockade with its own natural healing actions, as if freeing one from all the confusing pains and malfunctions the immune system had developed. It takes some time for a complete remission, say from MS or Lupus, and a bit of experimentation with dosage - each of us seems to have his own "best" dose. But people stay on it forever, and generally say it gave them their life back.

So, yes, folks are using it for their pets, with equally dramatic results. In our case, it is healing a medial shoulder injury that has been around for three or so years - about 90% fixed now. For me, a much better quality of brain function, no more fog, less body pain - I feel much as I did a decade or two ago, but I have some to go yet. Yuji is happy and bright, lost a little weight even as his appetite has increased, skin issues cleared. Other animals have cleared tumors, arthritis, skin issues...

There are two FB groups: <Low dose Naltrexone (LDN) for chronic illness & infections>, which has 43,000 members. And: <LOVE OUR PETS Low Dose Naltrexone (LDN)> with 3600 members. This being FB, there is a huge range of experience and smarts, but some very astute moderators and tons of advice. The LDNResearchTrust has two excellent books available, plus a ton of videos on their site.

Ask me more if you like. Many of our colleagues are familiar, too. And there will be some who dismiss it, or accuse us of careless, unresearched, or non-prescription use - that is not, however, the case anywhere I've found. LDN holds great promise, and I believe it is a potential life-saver for much of the human condition.

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Some addenda: found another group, run by the LDNResearch Trust folks: <LDN Research Trust - Low Dose Naltrexone>, with another 42,000 members. First order of business here was a warning that FB is watching closely for anything that looks like medical advice - but personal experience is OK.
Also found a note on gut permeability, which led me immediately to think of our dogs and cats, and how much this sort of thing could be affecting them. Strangely, my boy Yuji's poop volume and consistency increased and improved right from his first dose of LDN, and persists.
One of the first to come to mind as I wrote was Piper, with the pemphigus: I see this condition as just the sort of "hanging around" that signifies low immune function. Curious....

Betty

All-Access Member
Registered
Thanks for sharing, very interesting. A friend also mentioned about the low dose LDN and said good things about it.

LilF

Community Member
Registered
@Ginny is there a list of vets and human doctors that offer this that is available? I do not have a lot of choices here in my area so maybe it is a moot point for me. I closed my facebook account due to censorship of truth and the furthering of false information. So on principle I closed my account and do not have access to the facebook group. Is there a list of vets and MD's that offer this that you can direct me to? Sounds like something I could use as well for long standing injuries and for my dogs. Thanks

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Best advice I can give would be to consult the LDNResearchTrust.org site. The FB lists do not have practitioner lists, nor do any post, at least under "real" names, in any case. You might just ask around, or call MDs and vets and ask. It's not illegal, of course, but there are some folks who react with suspicion:) Just maybe, too, local compounding pharmacies might tell you with whom they work. The popularity of LDN seems to be burgeoning, and for that I rejoice.

LilF

Community Member
Registered
@GinnyW Great idea for the compounding pharmacy... I do have one to ask.... I asked them once in general they do compound pet products. I wish some of these newer options didn't take so long to catch on. Look how long it took for CBD to be accepted and all the pets who suffered needlessly. Thank you!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom