• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Knowing When It's Time To Say Goodbye to Your Pet

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi again everyone-

Here's a lovely video which I came across while agonizing about what to do about Vanya (my own pup).

Last night when I was giving her fluids, I realized that animal communicator extraordinaire, Kate Solisti, was right. Vanya seemed to have given up on life and just didn't care what was going on around her.

That dis-connectedness from the world around her is usually a good clue that they may be ready to go.

So I set her up a comfy bed, and we settled down for sleep.

This morning she came to me and asked to go out as if nothing was wrong. She came inside and asked for food but wouldn't eat (this has been going on for weeks now).

Using this along with a few new symptoms such as her sudden thirstlessness, which is unusual for a dog in kidney failure, I chose a new homeopathic medicine for her.

She then went about her usual routine and even asked to go outside to bask in the sun on this gorgeous late summer morning.

While I was outside watching that she didn't wander off, I was thinking further about what to do next. During this time I came across Dr. Gardner's wonderful Lap of Love video:

BTW-The Chief Medical Officer of Lap of Love will be sharing a webinar with us on 12/21/20.

AliceR

Registered
Dear Dr. Jeff,

Thank you for sharing some of your journey with Vanya. It helps me to feel a little less alone when dealing with end of life issues with my animals.

As you know, Sunshine passed in August. It took me by surprised- she was dying when I stumbled onto her at 4:30 am. She did have CKD and blood in her urine. I was consulting with a homeopathic vet, her BEAM seemed good, though in the last week her appetite was down a little. I took her urine in to a local vet and he said she had a UTI. They suggested an X-ray, ultrasound or bloodwork to check kidney values. I knew she was trying to make up her mind. That Friday morning she had decided. The difference with her and many other animals is that I was right there with her, with her friend Mosey on my lap. She had been loved for 17yrs- unlike many animals dying daily in shelters or worse.

She was the 7th animal I had lost in 5 years. It is very hard- I am still grieving and practicing a ritual I have used with all my animals. But I have studied all of Brighthaven's books, I have witnessed that death looks very much like birth, and if I can be present during their death, that is the last gift. I have also euthanized some of my animals in the past, and the moment it is over, I think, wait, it's over, no take it back, I changed my mind.

Life is a mystery, death is a mystery and I just try and do the best I can with my animals, am grateful to have them in my life.

Thank you, Dr. Jeff, for all the animals you have helped in yours.
Alice

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're welcome Alice.

novasimpson

All-Access Member
Registered
We are so sorry to hear about Vanya's decreasing vitality. We are happy to hear she is still enjoying her outside time and it is heartwarming to hear about her relationship with Archie! And as you have said, where there is life, there is hope.

As you know, Toshi passed away 2 weeks ago. She passed very peacefully and quickly. For months prior to Toshi's passing, I was riddled with anxiety about how we would know when it was time. Catie said Toshi will tell us. We still questioned ourselves on her QOL because her increasing dislike of syringe feeding. In the end, she chose the time "perfectly" and passed peacefully and gently. Toshi was the first animal we both have had as an adult and even with 14+ years of fun and love, it just seems way too short!

We too appreciate you sharing your journey with Vanya and all the loving, patient care you provided and provide to us and the tzus.

?

Last edited:

Julie W.

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you for sharing your story Dr. Jeff. I am sorry to hear that Vanya is not well. Mostly I feel like I am all alone in my struggles and hearing that everyone faces similar struggles helps me feel a little less alone.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're definitely not alone, Julie...

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom