• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Kidney questions

MelissaC

VIP Member
Registered
Hi all, could have questions about a pup with kidney failure.

She weighs 14lbs, how much fluid can we give safely per day 50? 100?

Should we assume she needs a phosphorus binder? Is it a can’t hurt, probably helps kind of addition?

What about calcitrol (I think that’s what it’s called) to help with calcium absorption?

Thank you,

Melissa

aruna

Cat mom
Administrator
VIP Member
@Melissa, did you have a chance to look at our kidney resources? Maybe you can find some answers there before our doctors pitch in - you can find them all by clicking here.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Missy!

Sorry to miss your questions so am super glad that we discussed them during our HMDM call.

For others tho, the amount of fluids will depend on hydration and symptoms and heart status (BEAM especially).

It will also depend on individual factors like whether the fluids are being absorbed.

Yes, to Aventi phosphorus binder:

I don't know any vet internists who use calcitriol. So no, I don't use it.

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
lMelissa, I am so gad you are reading the forum and our other resources on kidneys - we have a lot.

Be sure you are heating the fluids for her comfort. I like to run the fluid line through a cup of hot water, others soak the whole bag in hot water. Then be sure to empty the line of cold fluids till warm on your hand, then insert needle so the first blast is nice and warm.

The amount depends on the severity of the values and her BEAM. If early, I would start with 100cc every other day. However, most important at the early stages is not to make her miserable. If there is a nice lump of fluids and she gets fussy, stop, even if less than you wanted to give. If, when you start to give the fluids, there are still some pooled around her legs, wait another day.

Most importantly, follow the happiness protocols, getting exercise, fresh food and for really long life, begin now working with a great holistic vet, even virtually. Read the entire article on finding and working with a vet.

And keep us posted with her symptoms and how she is doing.

Dr. Christina

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom