• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Is onion poisonous to cats?

Kristinø

All-Access Member
Registered
I have a cat who has been sic for some months, diagnosed with near liver failure beginning of march. Going from no appetite, she now eats excessively, and I gave her some leftover spaghettisauce (tomatoesauce with lamb) with onion in it. Also some onion powder in the base. the amount of sauce with meat was max 2 tablespoons.

1 onion was added to 200 g meat + some onion powder in the tomatoesauce.

Getting stressed when reading online that this can be poisonous to cats:redface:.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Kristin-

I replied to this question in your other thread:

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
For everyone - ONION is only a problem if the cat is sensitive to it, or you feed a large amount, or give daily.
Garlic is fine daily.

kristin, I am glad she now has a good appetite. It may be time for a different treatment to continue to rebalance her.

Dr. Christina

Kristinø

All-Access Member
Registered
She has been sleeping all afternoon. This morning she was very attentive, and even liked my face probably to get some more food. She ate a lot; chickendrumstiks cooked. but after perhaps noon she has mostly slept. she was up 2 times the last time we woke her to check, but not eating much. She woke up but did not move away when I wiped her nose. now: clock 2230. Ofcourse tiredness has been part of her picture, and also eating less at times. This morning she was doing so well, I thought she must be thriving with the onion.. She did not get any more, just to be clear

her stomach was bubbling yesterday (the onion?). She did pee when awoke.
I did give her a drop of thuja d 6 just before writing ,, thinking they can have an aggravation from onion, and has helped her before. Perhaps I should try a c30 soon, before bed?

Btw: i am sick with the flu, starting today, if there might be an energy correlation. She has had silent "sounds/meows when anticipating foods for a few days (not first time it happens.).No anticipation after lunch.

Earlier she has had good use of phos, but I have also given her causticum at one time, for Uti.

Her "bingeeating" with large stomach but not gaining weight, otherwise. Does that give a clue? We booked a call for Thursday, first available.

And also we suspect something that can possibly develop to cancer from her bottom nipple. It is soft and malleable, but somewhat lumpy/grainy. like a pouch?

I have been considering carcinocinum, she has a bluish hue to her top of ears etc, and this c tendency? But do we even use nosodes on animals?

Last edited:

Kristinø

All-Access Member
Registered
Now (01.00) she woke up while I was wiping her nose, and she had stinky, light color diarrhea (too much chicken seemingly can give her that). She also vomited twice. (mostly undigested chicken). decided to not eat or drink. went to bed again. I am not sure what to look for as to onion being dangerous. reading online will really trigger my "anxiety"

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Kristin-

Thanks for sharing all of this great information!

Yes, all of her symptoms are clues about what to do.

Regarding the specific homeopathic remedies you use though, that will depend on the totality of her case details. Are you working with a vet homeopath (who can help with your remedy questions based on the totality)?

Kristinø

All-Access Member
Registered
just working with you and dr Christina.just anxious about the onion possibility. but she does seem better now at 5 am, so perhaps she is better in morning at this time. will have to see

there are non hom vet her anyways. I have a Thursday call with you, and if that is not enough , we need to book with you on your virtual clinic, I guess

Last edited:

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
OK!

Please let us know how she does as the day progresses.

Kristinø

All-Access Member
Registered
I think she is doing fairly well today, at least compared to yesterday. she has been eating all day, though she has been sleeping, she at least spent some time with us in the sofa in the evening, while sleeping most of the time. She did have stinky diarrhea or semi loose stool, even with blood in the moring, but I think it has calmed down now. her urine seemed a little dark, that is not a new thing. I can also feel her feet getting a little stronger while carrying her. her apetite is too ravenous, I think I need some tips on how to control it, so she does not overeat to that extent..

Last edited:

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
her apetite id too ravenous, I think I ned some tips on how to control it, ,so she does not overeat to that extent..
Great point (that it's easy to overfeed our ravenous kitties that also may not want to eat)!

I'd suggest frequent small meals of raw and lightly cooked meats. Slow and steady wins the race (on the trip back to balance).

@Dr. Jean and @Dr. Christina may have other tips Kristin.

Kristinø

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you. I have not deared giving her raw yet, she is so weak = her stomach acid is too weak = not good immune system in her gut, as I would see it. Also hard to come back to fresh, high quality meat, organic meat. It is either or in this town, it seems. We could get macrels fresh in the sea, but not sure how the lack of many teeth and fishbones would play out?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian

Kristinø

All-Access Member
Registered
For everyone - ONION is only a problem if the cat is sensitive to it, or you feed a large amount, or give daily.
Garlic is fine daily.

kristin, I am glad she now has a good appetite. It may be time for a different treatment to continue to rebalance her.

Dr. Christina
Dr Christina, It will have to wait till next month to find the new treatment, if you don´t take clients online? Or should I just try to find the next remedy myself? I have already used my 15 min this month. Or shall we book a 15 min paid with you here?

Dr. Jean Hofve

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Just jumping in here, onion and garlic *powders* are highly concentrated and should be avoided for cats. It's unlikely that a cat would eat enough fresh/cooked whole onion or garlic to matter.

Years ago, Gerber decided to add onion powder to their meat baby foods. I called Gerber to inquire, and they said their taste tests showed that "babies like it better."

I guess they quickly found out how many of their customers were actually cats, because they reversed course not long after. (Even an Albertson's checker was aware! He asked me, "Got a cat?" when I was buying baby food--but not diapers!)

I had one kitty patient who had eaten one meal (not a whole jar) of the onion-containing chicken baby food, and I happened to draw blood on her the next morning. Her CBC showed the wrecked red blood cells with Heinz bodies (little bubbles) on them. One meal, with only a little onion powder. Had she continued to eat that food, anemia would have quickly followed.

So even small amounts of concentrated powder can be quite dangerous!

How's your kitty today? Still improving?

Kristinø

All-Access Member
Registered
Thanks Dr Jane. She is still improving. I can see she that she still has an affected liver, though. (She was close to liverfailure a few months ago, while she was not eating or drinking). Her mouth/undertounge area is somewhat yellow, AND she is gaining much around her stomach.

But her energy is pretty good, compared to a week ago. her appetite is ravenous, though a little picky.

Last edited:

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom