• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Introducing new dog to our cats this weekend

maries

Registered
I have two 17 year old cats. My daughter has a friend staying with us this weekend and she is bringing her small dog (Corgipoo, 10 months old). The friend has asked if we can dog sit (the dog stays with us) for a week or two this summer. We would be happy to but are concerned about the interaction between the dog and our cats, and any negative impact it would have on our older cats. I guess this weekend is a trial to see how the interaction goes. How do I introduce the dog to the cats? What can I do to help things go as smoothly as possible? Any advice would be much appreciated.

jsqueglia

All-Access Member
Registered
Good Morning!
Ultimately, I would make the decision to watch the puppy after this weekend. As you pointed out this weekend will be the trial.
With that said, I would give your elderly cats a space of their own where the pup will not be able to access them. You know your cats best . I would start with the cats in a room with a door to close so no one has visual access to each other and preferably I would keep the pup out of the area. Just let everyone get used to the new smells. That would be what I would do for this weekend.
For the 2 week period at some point you can try to use a baby gate(some have cat doors in them) across the cat area so the cats would have visual access(cat door closed) the next step which you may not get to in that time frame would be to open the cat door and leave it up to the cats to come out. I would still keep the puppy away from their area.
In any case, I would put the safety and emotional health of your cats first. Some cats will be unhappy about the being confined to a smaller space than usual. At 17 they most likely have their routines. Some cats really are afraid of dogs.
I would not expect my 17 yr old cats (or most any cat really)to have to deal with a 10 month old puppy. Corgi's are herders and noisy(barky) herders at that so not sure if that will be this puppy but i would not allow the puppy off a leash in their presence should you get to the point where the cats 'choose' to come out.
The puppy also can be confined to its own area as well using baby gates or ex-pens and most likely a crate if being left alone.
This is most likely the first time the pup will be left in a strange environment so this is also something to consider. Separation related behaviors on the pups part are a possibility.
I am writing this quickly as there are so many things to consider. I hope this helps at least some.
The main thing is to be very aware of how your cats feel about a puppy in their space. Their health and personalities are a big factor in the success of them cohabitating successfully. This is their home first. The size of your home will likely play a part as more space is best for everyone. Less space creates challenges.
Alternately, the dog can be confined to a room, ex-pen or crate if the cats are not happy in confinement.
There are many solutions based on the many factors involved.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Great advice Jackie! :D Thanks so much for sharing it with Marie (and us).

Marie, how's it going so far?

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom