• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Introducing Charlie...aka ?

kristen_acri

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi all -- I adopted Charlie today! A black, senior Mountain Cur. I can't wait to use what I've learned to give him the best rest of his life!

Charlie on his Kuranda.JPG

lizkunz

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi Kristen, what a wonderful gift you gave Charlie. He is so handsome. I wish you both a wonderful holiday. Please post more photos as he settles in. Liz

kristen_acri

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi Kristen, what a wonderful gift you gave Charlie. He is so handsome. I wish you both a wonderful holiday. Please post more photos as he settles in. Liz
Thank you Liz -- yes, Charlie is very handsome! I will definitely post more pictures and updates as we go along. I believe there will be lots to talk about with him on the forum and during Empower Hours. Wishing you a peaceful holiday season as well...Kristen

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Congratulations Kristen!

I agree with Liz that Charlie is one lucky, and handsome, dog.

Were you told anything about his history?

Please let us know more about his new life with you as it unfolds.

kristen_acri

All-Access Member
Registered
Congratulations Kristen!

I agree with Liz that Charlie is one lucky, and handsome, dog.

Were you told anything about his history?

Please let us know more about his new life with you as it unfolds.
Thank you Dr. Jeff -- I have history on Charlie from the time he was surrendered to a high-kill shelter, pulled to one rescue, and then transferred to a second rescue.

Below is what I have. Of course the mass removal was a concern but I was already in love! I'm observing and tracking symptoms and early warning signs. He's had a lot of stuff pumped into him over a short time. Transitioning to a raw diet pretty quickly.

Reported Breed: Bobtail Mountain Cur

09/25/19: Wormed and vaccines: 1-DAPPv (Not sure by what facility)
10/10/19: Intake – shelter or Saving Webster Dogs?

10/23/19:
Rabies vaccine (one year)
Neutered
Mass removal – Grade IV
Skin scraping
Penicillin G injection
Baytril 136 mg
Deramaxx 25 mg

11/22/19: DDDR brought him into foster
Grade III heart murmur
temp 101.3
HW negative
4DX negative

Kristen

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks for the info Kristen.

Interesting that the mass showed up(?) and was removed ~1 month after the 9/25 vaccine.

Can you get other details about this such as when it was first seen, where it was and the kind of tumor?

kristen_acri

All-Access Member
Registered
Thanks Dr. Jeff -- I've been asking more questions about him. He had the mass/tumor for a long time supposedly. I was told today that he NEVER was vetted by his original, and only, owner. All third-hand info since he went from owner to kill shelter to rescue. It's possible all of those vaccines he was given are the only ones he's ever had.

The tumor was in the chest/abdomen area. Some Facebook posts stated probably cancer but I don't have any pathology reports. I have vet names and can call to see if there's any other info and if they'll release it to me.

He started with yellow discharge around his right eye yesterday so I'm trying to repertorize it along with other symptoms I've seen in the 48 hours he's been here.

Kristen

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
:thumbsup:

The discharge may be evidence of his body's response to a healthier environment and food.

If his eye looks fine otherwise, and his BEAM is improving, then no need to treat it.

See if the discharge changes from yellow to clear and gets thinner, then goes away on its own. All as part of the curative process.

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Congratulations on bringing a new dog into your home, Kristen!!
He is so blessed to have found you.

any kind of discharge is often a sign of healing, so if that is the only current issue, watch and see if it begins to resolve.

if you have a list of other symptoms, then you can certainly include it since it does reflect his unique vital force.

Dr. Christina

kristen_acri

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you both -- I thought about the association between discharges and healing but didn't think I see something like that in 24 hours. He still has the eye discharge, sometimes only in one eye (right or left now) and sometimes both. This morning both eyes had yellow discharge. I'm using warm compresses to wipe them. Was using green tea but he that seemed to bother him.

Anyway, more symptoms and EWS are showing themselves. I'm keeping a list and tracking his BEAM. And transitioning to a raw diet.

Kristen

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom