• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Hypothyroidism in dogs

AliceR

Registered
Hi,

I have a question about hypothyroidism. My dog, Reese, was diagnosed in 2015 after his splenectomy and is on natural thyroid and .1 mg soloxine.

I took my dog, Tasha, now deceased, to a holistic vet in 1996 when she was diagnosed with pannus. She was found as a stray and I adopted her. He put her on natural thyroid and though I gave her occasional prednisone drops (more consistently at first)- she never went blind or had to be on colchicine as the other vets said.

So, I have not found complete info on this disease, but in different places on the site, I have found a little information implying that medication is not a good idea. Is this correct? Should I try to get Reese off the medication? Will it help my understanding if I read Dr. Dodd's book about the disease?

Thank you,
Alice

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Alice-

Great question about meds and hypothyroidism.

Yes, Dr. Jean's thyroid book is an awe-some reference to own and will help your understanding!

There's also the thyroid webinar course and Empower Hours! which are in your HA! member area.

The bottom line from Dr. Jean is to give the soloxine in the full dose and not mess around with natural thyroid or glandulars.

She advises basing your thyroid hormone dose decisions on a combination of thyroid hormone blood levels and clinical symptom monitoring.

It's important to note that Dr. Jean believes, and has seen in her experience, that dogs with hypothyroidism can not regain thyroid function.

However, there's ample clinical experience that energetic treatment can do this.

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Many veterinary homeopaths find that dogs with symptoms related to hypothyroidism are quite easy to cure.

Your approach is good, too, by minimizing the synthetic drug, using natural and retesting every 6 months.

Dr. Christina

AliceR

Registered
Thank you for your input, Dr. Christina.

I watched the course on hypothyroidism. I'm glad you think the natural thyroid is ok.

I may consider working with a homeopathic vet to cure the hypothyroidism. His tests showed the low thyroid after his splenectomy due to extremely low rbc count.

Alice

AliceR

Registered
Hello,
@Dr. Jeff and @Dr.Christina. The company that makes Reese's natural thyroid has recalled the product and it is unavailable everywhere for an unknown amount of time- Armour thyroid, similar to Nature thyroid is much more expensive- over $400 for 50 days. My vet suggests the synthetic. Will it be a problem for Reese to switch back and forth between the natural and synthetic and back to natural thyroid pills?

Thanks,
Alice

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
No, I don't think it will be a problem.

The soloxine may have a stronger effect at a lower dose depending on Reese's susceptibility to soloxine.

Eventually, you and your vet can discuss your weaning down to a low dose of the using the great glandular powder, Thyro GO from Pet's Friend:

AliceR

Registered
Thank you Dr. Jeff- are you saying eventually he will do ok on a low dose of the synthetic if I use the thyroid support powder? The vet does want to recheck the thyroid after 4-6 weeks on the synthetic. Is this a better way to go than to go back to the natural thyroid supplement?

Thank you,
Alice

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Alice-

You're very welcome!

What I mean is that the synthetic usually has a stronger thyroid hormone effect than the Natural thyroid or Armour.

The Thyro GO, like most thyroid glandulars, does not have thyroid hormone in it. The glandulars help support the thyroid as will the other glands and kelp that it contains.

Also, regarding which is better for Reese will depend on the effect of the natural thyroid compared to the artificial one.

In general it's best to stick with a natural product. However sometimes quality of life is better with the artificial supplement.

Please let us know which works better for Reese.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom