• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Hyperthyroid cat! dosing question

AnneH

All-Access Member
Registered
The last time I dosed Girly Lycopodium Q1/10 on 7/20 afternoon was the first time there wasn't some kind of improvement within two days. By the fourth and fifth day, there was some improvement in terms of how much food she ate, but it went down again after that.

Her appetite is down, even if she starts to eat something she rarely finishes it. She's refusing most raw food. Even with the canned food it is hit or miss. I have reverted back to some old favorites, but if she ate it once she may not want it again for a number of days. She's weak, slow getting up or down, lies next to the refrigerator often with her eyes open.

I have a 15 minute session with Dr. Jeff scheduled for this coming Friday afternoon, but I need to dose her now. Dr. Jeff had answered a similar question on the Forum on 2/8/2020, and based on that I think I need to stay with the same number of succussions for a few times before raising the dose.

Please advise.

Thanks so much to Dr. Jeff, and also Dr. Christina and Dr. Sue for their helpful responses to earlier Forum threads. Very greatly appreciated the help.

AnneH

All-Access Member
Registered
Update on this thread:

I had to change my appointment to Monday, and may have to reschedule again.

I went ahead and dosed Girly with her usual dose on 29 July ~ 11 pm. She seemed to be more open to eating more foods after, but overall her BEAM has not improved. Her appetite is low, she's all bones and ragged fur, has no energy, has been ripping tufts of hair from her hips which have become matted, she really doesn't like me handling her and jumps down if I try to comb them out.

She is sometimes unsteady on her legs, which have lost considerable muscle mass. She has what looks like a lump on her face, but may be her bone sticks out because she's lost another tooth. ?

She eats a bit and walks away to sit or massage her face or get water, and it is hard to get her to finish eating, even her beloved tuna. I can't weigh her because Tip got sick of being weighed and peed on the scale and killed it. The only times she was able to gain weight she was eating 12 ounces of food, and after dosing she hit 6.6, and 7 ounces yesterday.

Her peculiar new symptom has been preferring lying on bare wood floors, even when it has cooled down. She used to be a warmth and cushion lover

I am ready to have her back to the vet for an exam and labs, but would love to have some input on dosing, whether I need to address the low appetite with an additional homeopathic remedy, if giving methimazole is a reasonable option now, and if there are specific supplements which would help Girly with her current issues.

Thanks in advance for the help!

2 August update:
After posting this on 7:10 on Friday evening, Girly finished her day having eaten 7.5 oz of food, but Saturday morning began with her vomiting a small amount of vomit with some hair in it, the hair both loose and formed into a small cylinder about 1/4" diameter by 1" long.

Then she said no to the RAWGanics chicken and nutritional yeast breakfast she had eaten the day before, but ate 3 oz of Answers chicken before walking away to poop. I checked on her as she was taking some time. I saw a pale, soft and sticky pile (I had given her psyllium again because her last stool was segmented and hard) and she was straining to do more. She did two more soft small and thin bits, and when I was cleaning this, I heard her puking two small puddles maybe 2" x 3", probably what she had just eaten, which was unfortunate because that generally means she won't touch it again for awhile, which she hasn't, although she ate it well the two previous days.

Although she seemed interested in the next three offerings, all canned food, she ate only 1.3 oz of the two she purred over, so I dosed her again Lyc Q1/10 Saturday evening. She finished the day having eaten only 2.3 oz.

Today (Sunday) she ate 4 liver and beef organ capsules but refused two raw offerings, and has a bit at a time eaten .5 oz of ZiwiPeak canned chicken, which she has been refusing for days.

Last edited:

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Anne-

Sorry to miss your posts, but I'm so glad that we just got to discuss a bit about what you can do for Girly.

She needs more protein and fat in her diet to help her assimilate and gain weight.

To prevent further weight loss, it can be from any food that's fresh or canned (not dry). Have you tried rotisserie chicken or Fancy Feasts?

Also, the fresh and organic DHA from SmartZyme can help:

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom