All Access Member
- Nov 9, 2021
- Your pet's name - Rocky
- Approximate age - 5 months
- Sex - Male
- Neutering status - Intact
- Breed - German Shepherd Dog
- Approximate weight - 38 lbs
- What's their BEAM (behavior, energy, appetite, mood) - Typical puppy - happy, playful, endless amounts of energy, intelligent
- Diet - Oma's Pride Complete Raw meal subscription service
- Vaccination history / exposure to toxins, other medication - Distemper at 2 months - Rabies - yesterday at 5months
When I took Rocky to my holistic veterinarian yesterday for his rabies vaccine she said that I was starving my puppy. Her recommendation was to give Rocky as much food as he was willing to eat in 15 minutes. I tried to do this this morning. In 3 minutes Rocky ate 2 lbs of food. I gave him a 2nd package of food (2lbs) and he finished that by the 8 minute mark. At that point I didn't think it would be healthy to give him another 2 lbs of food so instead I gave him a frozen turkey neck which he took his time with instead his usual devouring of it.
So, like I said earlier, I am learning this as I go. How much food should I realistically be giving Rocky? My goal has been for the time I got him that I want to give this puppy the best diet he can have right from the beginning. Was 1 lbs of food per meal too little? Was 4 lbs of food in this mornings feeding too much? Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.