• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Himalayan salt crystal lamp

AngeleL

All-Access Member
Registered
Good morning,

I have brought my mom's himalayan salt crystal lamp home as a souvenir, someone told me it was dangerous for dogs?
of course i went to mr google to check it out and it says that it is poisonous ? the part i don't understand is from what i read
the information seems to be if licked? so i'm confused, my dogs don't lick the lamp so why would it be dangerous? please help me make sense of this
weird info as I really don't want to get rid of the lamp.

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
While a good warning, this is a bit exaggerated. Yes, if a dog or cat ingests too much salt there can be health consequences. The Merck Veterinary Manual says that salt poisoning only happens when fresh water is not available, and indicates it is rare in dogs and cats. If your dog loves to play in the ocean, this is a reminder to keep fresh water available. 2-3 grams of salt (about 1/2 teaspoon) per kilogram body weight (2.2 pounds) is needed for poisoning.

If a lamp is in an easily accessible area, you may not notice if your dogs are taking regular licks. Again, even this would not cause a problem as long as your dog has access to water.

Dr. Christina

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
my dogs don't lick the lamp so why would it be dangerous?
It wouldn't.

I'd be curious to see which article you read. I'd appreciate it if you can share it in this thread.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom