• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Hepatitis?

G

ginnyw

My boy, 6 years old, intact, rawfed, vacc-free, has just spent four days on IV therapy. He had stopped eating and started vomiting clear, copious mucus. When he stopped drinking as well, I took him to our excellent but conventional vets. His blood values showed excess bilirubin, high ALT and AST. He was quite dehydrated, listless and withdrawn, with low body temp. He was given warmed fluids, antibiotics, dextrose and saline. This had all happened rapidly, within 12 hours of seemingly normal. A titer for lepto was run. He is off the drip, home, with much improved values and energy levels. He has not yet begun to eat, but the vet is not concerned and said he will start when ready.
This event/diagnosis came out of the blue. I'm trying to discover an etiology, and to plan any diet or other changes for his immediate and long-term care. Strengthening and managing his liver function is primary. As he is more able to ingest, he is getting ALA and milk thistle, and simple proteins, for now, cooked. He has never had a full constitutional workup, although homeopathy has played a part in acute treatment. I'm planning to embark on a more thorough look at his entire constitution to find comprehensive remedies to support and obviate any liver dysfunction issues. I'd appreciate your opinions and ideas for management or resolution.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I'm so sorry to hear about Yuji.:(

What was he doing last weekend before his BEAM declined??

Any exposure to a well-manicured park, golf course, insecticide, new paint, etc?

It sure sounds like an acute toxic exposure.

Especially if there were NO early warning signs.

Have you read Chelidonium?

If it sounds good to you, consider 6c once or twice a day.

No matter what else you do, maximize Yuji's Vitality with time in the sun, puppy pranayama (sniff walks, nosework), play with other dogs and fun with you.

Did he have a fun weekend?

Dr. Sara

VIP Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
Dear Ginny,
I am sorry to hear about Yuji. Fortunately, the liver is quite resilient, and good supportive care and homeopathic prescribing can support the liver to a full return to health. My oldest BMD developed hepatitis secondary to a transfusion reaction at five years of age, and appropriate support and prescribing resulted in a complete return to normal, both on labs and ultrasound, which has continued for the past six years.

As Dr. Jeff mentions, Chelidonium is low potency can be a good organ support, as can Hydrastis and Carduus mar, depending on Yuji's presentation.

It is a good idea to keep dogs off any grass that may have been sprayed with toxins. It is a wise precaution to wipe all dogs down with a damp cloth, especially their paws, when they have been walking in public areas. Dogs clean their feet, and they will ingest anything they have picked up on the pads.

Other supplements that can help are SAMe and general antioxidant combinations like Cell Advance 880.
Ursodiol (by prescription), if he does not have gall bladder blockage, is also helpful for many hepatitis cases.

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
I certainly agree that there are several choices of remedies for Yuji and that it sounds like a toxic exposure.

I would strongly suggest that you schedule an appointment with a veterinary homeopath now. Where do you live? By phone - Dr. Feinman will start new clients who are members, others at www.theAVH.org and www.DrPitcairn.com include Judith Herman, Adriana Sagrera, Pat Bradley.

While waiting for an appointment, make a list of every symptom he showed as he began to be ill, in order. Did he first eat a slightly less amount of food, or act hungry then not eat, or did not have any appetite at all (out of the blue). Was the vomiting violent, or easy. What did the vomit look like? Did his energy suddenly plummet or was he just a little off, then it lessened? Was there any pain in the abdomen? Any other tiny clues can be useful in finding the homeopathic medicine that fits the best.
Dr. Christina

G

ginnyw

Now, Monday the 5th, he has been home over the weekend with only improvement. He is eating, just small quantities of chicken and rice - yes, I am not hardlining on the bones:). He is getting Silymarin and Alpha Lipoic Acid. I have another comprehensive liver formula coming. Tomorrow we go to my brilliant integrative vet, where I expect lots of needles and probably a TCM formula. I have already ordered both Carduus and Chelidonium, but in 30c, so may reorder the Chel. Yes, this has been a puzzle: he is tightly controlled, this is a rural neighborhood where no one much sprays, and we did not do or go anywhere different in the days leading up to symptom onset. It looked toxic to us, too. He just quit eating, and immediately lost interest in everything and started sleeping. No pain, clear and copious mucus vomit, with drooling. Liver and kidney values went sky-high. He was not overweight, but looks a lot better 4 pounds lighter, so.... We'll get him stronger first, and then we'll get him stronger than that....I'll see if Dr. Jeff wants to consult on constitutional treatment, but he's been a remarkably symptom-free dog, so I'll start pondering. I have seen many instances of great liver recovery, so I'm not concerned - just want to get him right as rain for the rest of his life. Thanks, all of you!

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
So glad he is better, Ginny.
Either go with the acupuncture, or work with Dr. Jeff.
Use your intuition to determine which one.
Dr. Christina

G

ginnyw

Thanks, Christina! It's looking as though Lepto is the most likely culprit. And because of that, the conventional as well as the TCM vet are both recommending to continue with Baytril for a couple of weeks. Given the depth of his symptomatic reaction, I can understand why not to risk not doing so. Our TCM vet consults well with the straight-up guy, too - I seem to have helped cement this relationship, which will only work out better for us. We did get a full acupuncture session, cranio-sacral, chiro, muscle work, as well as a TCM formula and a five-mushroom blend. I'll stick with this for a time, will likely use the aforementioned homeopathic remedies as well, and will plan on a constitutional workup for him a bit later. I have a good sense of what is physical and what needs deeper poking, I believe. Day by day...

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I hope that Yuji is doing better on the Baytril Ginny!

What were his lepto titer results?

G

ginnyw

Actually, upon reflection we went with Amoxy. Neither of us thought the Baytril was necessary:) His titer came back low positive - in other words, about what I'd expect from an adult with functioning immune system. The vet and I both feel this was not definitive as to cause. He's doing well; we will check blood again in two weeks. Thanks for asking:)

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're welcome Ginny!

Have a great weekend full of Vitality.☀?‍♀️?

Deena

VIP Member
Registered
Hey Ginny...glad he is improving! Keep us posted.

G

ginnyw

Thank you, and just a bit more: two-week bloodwork check, after the Amoxy, showed perfection in all values but one: ALP, at 166 with a high normal of 150. My conventional vet advised putting him on ursodiol for a month, saying he has "sludge" in his gall bladder. While my research tells me this isn't a horrible thing, it is also suppressive in terms of encouraging the natural relationship between the liver and gall bladder function. I'm leaning towards just a ton of support for the gall bladder and liver, continuing the lovely adjuncts we are using presently, and working a bit more directly at the gall bladder with acupressure/-puncture - easy to do. He is on TCM Five Mushroom, Eclipta Alba, silymarin, alpha lipoic acid, CoQ10 - and homeopathic Chel 6c four drops a day. BEAM is great, and he has lost about four pounds and looks fabulous. I am keeping him lean. Your comments and advice are much appreciated:)

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Ginny-

I like your approach (supportive supplements vs. drugs) but I beg to differ about 1 thing.

Ursodiol is not suppressive and is palliative (if it even does anything).

I'd also hold off on Chel if you've been using it for awhile.

Let his counter-action occur.

Instead of always stimulating his body and seeing the primary effect of the remedy from giving the Chel every day.

The only other advise is Pranayama for Pets with lots of sniff walks, nose work, swimming, running and playing, etc.

And of course, try to minimize exposure to toxins in food, water, environment, etc.

G

ginnyw

Excellent, Dr. Jeff; thank you! His life is full of stimulus: wandering walks with the golf cart, water therapy, FitBone work, etc. I would imagine that the Urso, while not exactly suppressive, might discourage his body's seeking its own balance. My superficial research seems to agree that Urso may not DO anything at all, but could likely cloud the picture of how effectively the liver and GB will act on their own. We'll stop with the Chel, which has only been eight days or so. A month before repeating bloodwork should be enough to show SOMEthing; I'll just have to prevaricate a bit with my vet:) Thank you, sir!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're welcome Ginny. ?

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom