• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Heartguard for puppy in Hawaii?

IvyW

Community Member
Registered
Aloha HA community,

I have a 5 month old goldendoodle puppy, Leo, here with me in Hawaii. I have so far done zero heartworm preventatives since I picked him up at 9 weeks. He got heartguard previously. I just read a HA article on heartworm and am wondering - would you recommend I do the heartworm preventative every 6 weeks since we live in warm place, or should I do nothing and just test him regularly?

If he did get heartworm, what would be the medical or holistic intervention to get rid of the problem?

Mahalo,
Ivy

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Aloha Ivy!

Yes to HG every 4-6 weeks as well as a heartworm test twice/year.

medical or holistic intervention to get rid of the problem?
Dr. Basko (who is also in HI) did an excellent job of summarizing both the conventional and holistic approaches to prevention and treatment this year's Empower Hour! webinar.

Perhaps search for his name in the member resource area and it will pull up his heartworm, mushroom, feeding, etc. webinars.

IvyW

Community Member
Registered
Thanks Dr Jeff! Will do.

1. Is HG regular or HG plus preferred? I

2. Do you have advice on where to get this most conveniently and affordably? I see Petco clinics administer it for $22/dose but I would rather own the medicine and administer it on its own. Not sure where to get it and it seems online that HG+ is more readily available than HG.

TY!!!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
1. Either one is fine (HG plus adds in a very safe intestinal dewormer). I've used the plus for my own pups in the past because they loved the chewable.

2. It's widely available but you'll need approval from your local vet:

IvyW

Community Member
Registered
Hi Dr Jeff!

Thank you for your advice on this. I have still not yet started Leo on heartworm meds but I plan to soon.

I have a question about medication options given the following:

I have been dealing with occasional flea infestations with him, and doing my best to manage them naturally with wondercide, coconut oil, lots of cleaning the house, and brushing him. I can't keep up. He has really thick fur that mats so brushing is a challenge. I'm not seeing tons of fleas but the occasional one and lots of flea dirt on his head and neck. I don't want it to become a cyclical problem.

I think I am going to use a flea/tick medication as needed to control this. My idea is to use it as needed rather than monthly to reduce toxin exposure.

Is there a medication that you recommend is the least harmful but effective? I was recommended Nexgard or Simparica Trio if I want to combine it with a heartworm med (hence asking you within this forum post). Please let me know.

For some background, Leo is very healthy, happy. Lots of play and exercise and swimming at the beach. Snuggly and affectionate. I feed him Honest Kitchen dehydrated food as well as sweet potato and smoothies. This diet compared to his previous one of raw meat is helping him have really consistent, firm stool. Our previous raw diet led to runny stool often.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Is there a medication that you recommend is the least harmful but effective?
Great question Ivy!

As you know, all of the drug-based flea killers (external and internal) have potential longer-term side effects.

If you're looking for a 1 (or 2) dose situation to help get the fleas under control then maybe consider:

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom