• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

HeartGard

Dana

All-Access Member
Registered
This in from "Dr. Judy's Friday Five" email:
Just a quick note regarding Nexgard. I used to give my dogs Nexgard and Hartgard, because I blindly listened to my vet. One of my dogs (I have four), started having seizures out of the blue one day. Rushed her to the vet and they couldn’t figure out why, told us she probably has Epilepsy, and we can put her on some meds if it continues. They never got worse than one or two about every couple of months so we never put her on anything. Fast forward a couple of years..I started getting wise to the horrible poisons that our poor dogs endure from heartworm meds to vaccinations. Took all of them off of Nexgard and Hartgard, and replaced them with natural alternatives, and slowly the seizures disappeared. She hasn’t had one in a couple of years now.

Dr. Judy Morgan DVM sends an email on Fridays with 5 quick tips for "Naturally healthy pets" "Vibrant Living for your pet"

I asked what she suggested instead of HeartGard and she said " Interceptor (plain not Plus, etc) every 6 weeks during mosquito season only"

thoughts?

lizkunz

All-Access Member
Registered
For what it's worth I don't treat at all. Even though I got the lecture from our conventional vet. And I am a worry wort. But I do take precautions, no standing water, I use Wondercide. I have them tested for heartworm twice a year. Bottom line I am more afraid of the poisons.

Dr. Falconer put out an ebook on Heartworm. I think it might still be available.

Dogs Naturally store has a heartworm product, HWF. Maybe one of the doctors could comment on that.

lizkunz

All-Access Member
Registered
I'd better add a disclaimer. I don't recommend not giving heartworm preventative. But it does work for me.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes, Dana. Heartgard (or any drug) can be a stressor that triggers symptoms.

I just spoke to Tory whose pup gets elevated liver enzymes, but no other symptoms, from Heartgard but not from another heartworm drug.

Whether or not any drug, food or other factor acts as a stressor to trigger symptoms depends on the individual.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom