• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Granger the Dane

jumstead1023

All-Access Member
Registered
My daughters one year old raw fed intact male Dane has one swollen elbow. When he saw his breeder/vet they said it is caused by laying on hardwood floor or crate and just to monitor it. He literally lays on the couch or a kids bed most of the time. He only eats in his crate and relaxes for half an hour. It’s not getting better. Ideas? 6A6CB36A-AABF-42B5-AFD5-7FDA83B97866.jpeg

Dr. Sara

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
This looks like a seroma (from acute trauma) or a hygroma (from chronic trauma of lying on hard surfaces). These are extremely common in large and giant breed dogs, and especially in short haired dogs. It doesn't take much to get one of these to pop up in a big puppy - does he play bow enthusiastically, or lie down quickly on to his elbows? Any of these can concuss the area and cause swelling.

Treatment involves preventing further trauma while the site is healing and providing antioxidants and other healing support. Danes are big enough that human wrist pads (like for tennis) fit nicely over the swollen area to cushion it. There is also a company, DoggLeggs, that makes sleeves to protect the area. Not all dogs will wear DoggLeggs, and if the sleeve shifts, it can chafe the skin.

Continue to ensure that puppy does not lie on bare floors AT ALL. I can't stress this enough, as the hard floors combined with the dog's weight are a major aggravating factor. I note that there is a lot of wood floor visible in the photo. If the boy plays on the smooth wood floor, he can bang his elbows on it when he is playing. It is best to keep giant breeds off smooth floors when playing - just carpeted areas and grass.

Apply ice to decrease swelling related to trauma.
Consider cold laser, red light therapy or Assisi Loop to increase circulation and remove products of inflammation.
Consider various anti-oxidants like the medical mushrooms and others.
Consider appropriate homeopathic medicines - perhaps Arnica, or Apis, or Ledum.
I hope this helps!

jumstead1023

All-Access Member
Registered
This looks like a seroma (from acute trauma) or a hygroma (from chronic trauma of lying on hard surfaces). These are extremely common in large and giant breed dogs, and especially in short haired dogs. It doesn't take much to get one of these to pop up in a big puppy - does he play bow enthusiastically, or lie down quickly on to his elbows? Any of these can concuss the area and cause swelling.

Treatment involves preventing further trauma while the site is healing and providing antioxidants and other healing support. Danes are big enough that human wrist pads (like for tennis) fit nicely over the swollen area to cushion it. There is also a company, DoggLeggs, that makes sleeves to protect the area. Not all dogs will wear DoggLeggs, and if the sleeve shifts, it can chafe the skin.

Continue to ensure that puppy does not lie on bare floors AT ALL. I can't stress this enough, as the hard floors combined with the dog's weight are a major aggravating factor. I note that there is a lot of wood floor visible in the photo. If the boy plays on the smooth wood floor, he can bang his elbows on it when he is playing. It is best to keep giant breeds off smooth floors when playing - just carpeted areas and grass.

Apply ice to decrease swelling related to trauma.
Consider cold laser, red light therapy or Assisi Loop to increase circulation and remove products of inflammation.
Consider various anti-oxidants like the medical mushrooms and others.
Consider appropriate homeopathic medicines - perhaps Arnica, or Apis, or Ledum.
I hope this helps!
Thank you so much

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
As Dr. Sara said Judy, this is frequently related to some sort of trauma. Her suggestions are awe-some!!

I especially love the homeopathic recommendations because sometimes this is an energetic, and not physical problem.

EXTREMITIES; SWELLING; Elbow (33 remedies) :

Does Granger have anything else going on like intermittent diarrheas, vomiting, etc? Bad breath or other odors?

Any recent vaccines or medications? New foods?

Other left-sided symptoms like eye or ear problems, lameness, etc.?

jumstead1023

All-Access Member
Registered
As Dr. Sara said Judy, this is frequently related to some sort of trauma. Her suggestions are awe-some!!

I especially love the homeopathic recommendations because sometimes this is an energetic, and not physical problem.

EXTREMITIES; SWELLING; Elbow (33 remedies) :

Does Granger have anything else going on like intermittent diarrheas, vomiting, etc? Bad breath or other odors?

Any recent vaccines or medications? New foods?

Other left-sided symptoms like eye or ear problems, lameness, etc.?
I’ll ask my daughter but I don’t think so. He has a new Dane female pup that joined the household last month who he adores.

jumstead1023

All-Access Member
Registered
My daughters one year old raw fed intact male Dane has one swollen elbow. When he saw his breeder/vet they said it is caused by laying on hardwood floor or crate and just to monitor it. He literally lays on the couch or a kids bed most of the time. He only eats in his crate and relaxes for half an hour. It’s not getting better. Ideas? 6A6CB36A-AABF-42B5-AFD5-7FDA83B97866.jpeg
She is getting a new carpet as well.

jumstead1023

All-Access Member
Registered
I posted exactly one month ago about my grand dogs elbow. They bought a new carpet for their living room so he is not on hardwood floors at all. His breeder wants her to give him DMSO!! I told her no. The funniest video would have been when she put a sleeve on him to cushion it and he jumped around like a kangaroo! He’s a funny boy

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Is he doing well, Judy?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
It sounds like this may be more of an early warning sign of imbalance rather than a physical issue.

One other thing to try is to add minerals in the form of an organic kelp. They will help his body work optimally. The next step, if your daughter wants to address this further, is to have a full lifestyle evaluation and possibly use individualized homeopathy.

Here's the great deal on an organic kelp (same one as in PlaqueOff) I just got for Archie:

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom