• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Grain Free

SuzanneS

VIP Member
Registered
It has been suggested that I not feed my golden retrievers grain-free food because I think of lack of taurine. Can you please give me information regarding this?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Wonderful, and timely, question Suzanne!

Certain processed grain free diets are indeed associated with a heart dis-ease called dilated cardiomyopathy in Goldens and other dogs.

However, they do not cause it, and no one really knows why yet as even sufficient amounts of taurine in the diets may not prevent problems.

This is being looked at only from a nutritional point of view whereas there is more to the susceptibility to this issue.

There's lots of information available about this including this post and @Nicci's great research:

No matter what you feed, it's a good idea to incorporate some raw food and especially raw organ meats such as heart.

You can also but freeze-dried hearts from companies such as Bravo:

SuzanneS

VIP Member
Registered
Wonderful, and timely, question Suzanne!

Certain processed grain free diets are indeed associated with a heart dis-ease called dilated cardiomyopathy in Goldens and other dogs.

However, they do not cause it, and no one really knows why yet as even sufficient amounts of taurine in the diets may not prevent problems.

This is being looked at only from a nutritional point of view whereas there is more to the susceptibility to this issue.

There's lots of information available about this including this post and @Nicci's great research:

No matter what you feed, it's a good idea to incorporate some raw food and especially raw organ meats such as heart.

You can also but freeze-dried hearts from companies such as Bravo:

Thank you, Dr. Jeff. I will definitely look into your suggestions.

Sincerely,
Suzanne

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're welcome Suzanne. Please post any of your other questions on the forum.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom