• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Good supplement recommendation for joint & bone health for 50 pound dog

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Shauna!

It would be great to have a bit more info. in order to help personalize the reply.

Is your pup having any mobility challenges?

Here are other questions that could be helpful:

For general use tho, here is one of my favorite proactive joint support supplements:

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
When it comes to targeting an element of diet - well, I don't, for the most part. There are many adjuncts that promote joint integrity: in fact, a well-rounded, highly varied, diet is the best way, I feel, to make sure ALL bases are covered: many species and body parts, even if economics or supply dictates a preponderance of one or another species (ike chicken, for instance). That said, there are many good supplements available, and feeding one or another may make a perceivable difference - or may not. But in any case, changing up which you offer is a safe plan.
Hip & Joint looks useful, and I would definitely stay on it if you see results. If ANY one product makes a huge difference, you can assume that the diet up til now has been somewhat inadequate:)

We use liquid oil from SeaPet, liquid hyaluronic acid from 100X Equine, krill oil in capsules, MCT oil in bulk - and my ZipZyme crumbles are on delivery. I add to this a variety of animal parts, including bone and organ, and I can only hope we've got it covered. It's also wise to promote the best function of the intestinal biome with some good enzymes, assure good dental health, and employ an exercise program that supports rather than destroys - I am wary of "overdoing" just because the animal seems to love it so.

No magic bullets - but this is no reason not to try:)

ShaunaK

Registered
Thank you Dr. Jeff and Ginny. My pup is in pretty good shape overall however a few months ago she went lame out of nowhere with her front right leg. She wouldn't put any weight on it for an entire week and there was no known injury. We x-rayed her wrist and nothing was wrong so I've been getting her acupuncture and doing massage and she's good again and walking fine but with a very mild gait that she didn't have before. I still can't really hike her or walk her more than a couple of miles as she'll start limping again. I had her on another hip and joint supplement as well as arnica but thought I'd ask the group to see what you guys thought. Thanks again for the suggestions!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're welcome Shauna!

I hope you have a wonderful new year!!

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Most hip and joint supplements are aimed toward arthritis, which you do want to use to prevent, especially after an injury. But right now it seems like we are still talking about healing from an injury, and for that I would consider a combination of boswellia, turmeric and ginger, all excellent anti-inflammatories and also good for pain. Maybe consider collagen/bone broth for ligaments, since they take a very long time to heal.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom