• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Glandular supplement needed

LilF

Community Member
Registered
My dog Gabby 14 years old Shar Pei Mix has Protein Losing Enteropathy, (PLE)although on her last blood work was just a tenth of a point away from normal protein and albumin. She is doing well on a low fat (bison and turkey) cooked diet. I do add things to it but wonder where to go from here. She has eaten raw her whole life. I realized last week she gets no organ meat or glandular supplement. I am afraid to give her raw organs because I don't want her to backslide. The only time she vomited in 4 months was when she finished the other dog's raw meal.... I don't know what caused the PLE although I was told to feed her a low fat cooked diet. So are raw organ meats out of the question? I prefer to feed her a supplement to cover that base. I looked into a few: Mercola has a separate one for males and females, Ancestral has one but think it is for humans and don't know how to dose it for dogs--they have several options, Then I saw one called Guts and Glory that seems to have a number of organs covered in that one. Again, I myself cannot stomach cutting up a raw organ and prefer a comprehensive supplement to provide benefits to multiple organs. I don't know what caused the PLE but they said to feed low fat and cooked back in January of this year. Thank you

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Lil-

The Guts and Glory looks great!

For a wider range (but lower dose) of glands and organs, check out:

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
How about this one:

LilF

Community Member
Registered
I bought some bison kidney (raw).... If I cook it do I destroy the glandular properties versus feeding raw? I guess that question applies to other organs like liver and heart too....I would like to incorporate the real deal. My one dog can eat raw the other cannot right now....Thank you

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Depending on the exact temp used to cook, yes (different proteins denature at different temps).

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom