• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Gassy Little Doggie, Very Gassy

DonnaC

All-Access Member
Registered
  1. Zoey
  2. 14
  3. Female
  4. Spayed
  5. chihuahua dachshund mix
  6. 6 lbs
  7. Behaves well, very happy
  8. Archetype Burger
  9. none is 5 years, no meds
  10. began about 3 weeks ago when I started feeding her the Archetype Burger
  11. Worse right after she eats

Good Afternoon Everyone : )

Her gas is horrid. She's never had much til now. Now it goes on for a couple hours pretty consistently after she eats, then random throughout the day. I have no idea what to do for her.

Thanks for reading!

@Dr. Jeff, @Dr. Christina

Dr. Sara

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
Dear Donna,
Intestinal gas is produced by microorganisms in the intestines digesting the dog's food. Gas is a waste product of microbial digestion. Gas does not mean that the food is inappropriate for the dog. It does mean that the microorganisms are a bit over nourished! This can occur with any food change as the dog's digestion and the microorganism population adjusts to the new product presented to it. This is one reason why it is good to feed a variety of foods, to maintain the digestive system's ability to easily digest a variety of foods.

There are several things that you can do to help Zoey.
1 - It may help to feed her food in multiple small meals, so that her digestive tract is presented with less food to digest at a time.
2 - Pumpkin or another soluble fiber can help slow passage of food through the tract, allowing better digestion.
3 - Animal Biome can analyze Zoey's intestinal microflora, and suggest probiotics to help rebalance it.
4 - Over the counter probiotics might also help Zoey; I like Aunt Jeni's Digestive Aid, as it also has prebiotics and soothing herbs.
Regards,
Dr. Sara

Dr. Sara

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
I should have given an amount of pumpkin - start with 1 teaspoon per meal. You can go up to a tablespoon per meal.
Dr. Sara

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom