• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Gabby's Folate is down

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Just an update on Gabby.... She was tested about a week ago and her blood levels of albumin, protein, BUN and globulin were improving. But her folate seems to be down now per the attachment. When she was tested Jan 19th it was ok. On Jan 19th her Cobalamin was high (she had a shot 3 days earlier) Now her Cobalamin is ok but not as high.
They suggest Folic Acid 400 mcg per day.... Wonder what made the folate go low... I thought my dietary plan was helping her chemistry numbers go up per the above. But wonder what is going on why the folate went low. She has diffuse Small Intestine wall thickening with linear striations (Greek to me!) Presumptive Protein losing enteropathy
Question: I thought folic acid was not the preferred form in humans. I thought it is best to use folate but don't know if it is to be used in dogs. Any insight into this new situation?
I have been concerned her diet is not balanced but then read that this would not cause folate to decline.

Attachments

• GabbyFecekB12.pdf
    119.1 KB · Views: 0

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Folic acid is another way of saying folate!

Texas A&M Vet scool is the leader in small animal intestinal dis-eases. Here's what they say about folic acid:

They also have a great dysbiosis index test that tells you more about Gabby's intestinal bacterial balance.

You may want to ask your vet internist about it:

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Dr. Jeff, I had the animal biome test done on Gabby, not sure if the Dysbiosis Index would be different. I do need a good probiotic for her. She "may " not tolerate the Answers fermented Goat milk. I am going to try it again soon as it thaws. So if Gabby needs to supplement with Folic Acid for her low folate, I thought folic acid is harder for the body to convert. I purchased a folate product with this ingredient FOLATE - (QUATREFOLIC (6S) 5-METHYL TETRAHYDROFOLATE GLUCOSAMINE SALT) 400 mcg (Jarrow Methyl Folate). Would this product be ok to try to raise her folate. I have been looking at a lot of folate products and they have so many different names. I am not sure a folic acid product would be absorbed as well. Thanks

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I'll check it out and get back to you Lil.

I'm running now to start my clinic day, so if you don't hear back by the end of the day, please tag me in this thread to remind me.

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Folic acid is another way of saying folate!

Texas A&M Vet scool is the leader in small animal intestinal dis-eases. Here's what they say about folic acid:

They also have a great dysbiosis index test that tells you more about Gabby's intestinal bacterial balance.

You may want to ask your vet internist about it:

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes, it is great to use the methyl form. In fact, it's recommended! Especially methyl B12.

However, all supplements are not the same and the very low price point of this one may be a clue that you want to look further. Pure Encapsulations is a great brand as is Vimergy. Here's the Vimergy cost (which may reflect its efficacy?):

Methyl donors are super important to allow her body to work properly.

Here's a great methyl B12:

LilF

Community Member
Registered
I do like Pure Encapsulations overall but that one has 1,000 mcg. I was supposed to give her 400mcg. The Vimergy one has 5 Grams of folate which is too much. She is ok on B12 levels right now. I am going to start the Jarrow one until I can find another one. I guess it is better than folic acid which requires a conversion and I should start her on something. I thought when they said to put her on folic acid, it would be simple but knowing folic acid is synthetic and not as bioavailable, it opened up a can of worms... Wish I didn't know stuff sometimes!! :)

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom