• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Free Webinar To Help Pets With Cruciate Ligament Tears

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
I cannot edit my first attempt at posting this, so please try to make sense of it. My wonderful integrative vet is presenting this series of videos on cruciate injury management. I have her permission to invite you all to watch, no charge, next week Monday - Wednesday. Times given are Pacific Daylight, so adjust accordingly. I can email you the flyer also, so write to me if you want better copy:)

Dr. Finn is a very experienced expert in this particular specialty, and also uses TCVM, laser, massage, cranial/sacral, etc. I've seen some spectacular healing at her clinic, and she has been excellent for my boy Yuji, too.

If someone with admin powers could delete my original attempt above, it'd be much appreciated:)

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
OK, so it's Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday next week, at 10:00a.m. Pacific Daylight Time, so 1:00 p.m Eastern Daylight.

Here is the link to get in:

https://fb.me/e/1M1jdKf4T

I am advised the sessions will be taped as well, so if that is not clear, I can help you get them later.

LouiseRF

All-Access Member
Registered
I cannot edit my first attempt at posting this, so please try to make sense of it. My wonderful integrative vet is presenting this series of videos on cruciate injury management. I have her permission to invite you all to watch, no charge, next week Monday - Wednesday. Times given are Pacific Daylight, so adjust accordingly. I can email you the flyer also, so write to me if you want better copy:)

Dr. Finn is a very experienced expert in this particular specialty, and also uses TCVM, laser, massage, cranial/sacral, etc. I've seen some spectacular healing at her clinic, and she has been excellent for my boy Yuji, too.

If someone with admin powers could delete my original attempt above, it'd be much appreciated:)

LouiseRF

All-Access Member
Registered
I can't wait to participate! I need to hear more info because a number of vets that I have worked with over the years all have very different opinions about Luna's torn CCLs. I have looked into braces but still have found no one in CT that will cast her for the braces (IF that's the route I end up taking). Thanks for the post about the course!!

LilF

Community Member
Registered
OK, so it's Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday next week, at 10:00a.m. Pacific Daylight Time, so 1:00 p.m Eastern Daylight.

Here is the link to get in:

https://fb.me/e/1M1jdKf4T

I am advised the sessions will be taped as well, so if that is not clear, I can help you get them later.
I'm a little late to the party and did not find this was still available. I was looking to watch this because I just got off the phone with an elderly friend who has a dog who just tore her cruciate ligament and my friend is devastated and talking about putting the dog down. I hate to see her do this without knowing other options. The dog is her whole life so thought I would try and get some information but she is very negative as her doctor did not even take xrays and says the dog will have to be in a crate for 6 months. I told her JJ tore his last year, not a complete tear, but he got laser. I referred her to a rehab vet that JJ went to so she could hear more hope from a vet who actually does rehab these dogs. My friend gets angry when I suggest things. I suggested Arnica because the vet did not want to prescribe anything, and she gets mad saying she doesn't know about these things. ( I know arnica makes me feel better when I get injured)So I fear she may put the dog down. Her vet is old and probably doesn't even know advances in care. I don't think the dog is able to walk very well. Previous to this the dog was chewing her paws raw. I' afraid this hopeless attitude is going to be bad for the dog and told her so. Is this course still available. I would watch it and share the info I learn but then there is the problem finding someone in this area.

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
OK; this link's really old, and I am not sure the info is still on the site. However, this vet, Christin Finn, is one of the best in the country for management of cruciate tears. That said, it sounds as if this owner is NOT gonna be great with whom to work - like, hopeless. Dr. Finn would be willing to talk on the phone, but I'm not going to advise on anything other than providing a phone number.

I will say that CCL tears are very manageable without surgery - IF the owner can discipline themselves properly to care for the various aspects of the healing process. There would be crate rest and slow short walks for relief only, a brace, most likely - and a well-fitting custom one will cost - some dietary adjuncts and a nutritious raw diet, and patience and sticking to the program for the weeks necessary.

So, if she's going to be stuck inside her head and unwilling to do what is necessary, there's not much to be done, and I would not waste my vet's time, nor yours. My prayers for the little dog, and for a positive attitude from the owner. This doesn't have to be a big deal, just another process - and it is certainly not something over which to throw away a life. But you know that....

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Oh, and the phone number:

Contact Us​

Phone: 360-297-3323
Email: office@finndvm.com

Mailing Address:
PO Box 2038
Kingston, WA 98346

Clinic Address:
7515 NE State Highway 104
Kingston, WA 98346

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I will say that CCL tears are very manageable without surgery
Yes! Archie was 3 legged lame from a partial cruciate tear at the beginning of the year (from too much jumping and twisting).

With homeopathy and support (leash walking only and minimal boinging) he is now virtually back to "normal".

We briefly used a velcro brace (link below), but it would only stay on for a short while. The company also fashions custom braces as Dr. Paul discussed in his webinar (@aruna, I'd appreciate your adding the direct link in this thread).

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Ginny, this morning it seems my friend has been busy checking out surgeons, hospitals etc.... So it seems she is wanting to get help for her dog. I reminded her the dog's overall health is also good (BEAM) and she needed to consider that too. She did contact the rehab vet JJ went to also. It was sad though, my friend went upstairs to take a shower and she put chairs around so the dog could not get upstairs. The dog was upstairs when she came out of the shower, wanting to be close to her (my dogs always did the same thing) She had to call the police to carry her downstairs. My friend is 80 years old, very bright though but I think she has decided to consider surgery or whatever. Her dog is scared and I told her the importance of being around and spending time with her now.
The dog is not on medication so maybe I should get her the 30c Arnica --or the 200c Arnica which I have to give ongoing. Some of the surgeons she contacted are scheduling in March which I feel is not soon enough. She even called the vet board to check on whether the vets had any citations against them (not that they really do anything in this state anyway) but she is doing her due diligence.

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Yes! Archie was 3 legged lame from a partial cruciate tear at the beginning of the year (from too much jumping and twisting).

With homeopathy and support (leash walking only and minimal boinging) he is now virtually back to "normal".

We briefly used a velcro brace (link below), but it would only stay on for a short while. The company also fashions custom braces as Dr. Paul discussed in his webinar (@aruna, I'd appreciate your adding the direct link in this thread).

Dr. Jeff, Ginny, I do know braces can be wonderful to stabilize per personal experience and thereby reduce pain and increase functionality. My friend was also able to get an appointment next week with a vet who does chiropractic and acupuncture so hoping that she may be able to "pad" the other side of knowledge about alternative/adjunctive strategies in addition to conventional. My friend's dog did not have xrays yet but the vet said it was a complete tear.Do complete tears always require surgery? Is the robotic surgery a better one than the old fashioned one? My friend has some appointments set up and is doing her online research now of the vets she scheduled with. My friend seems to be under the impression her dog would require Rimadyl for life and she did not want her dog on that. I told her ABSOLUTELY NOT, there are other alternatives. I do applaud my friend for seeking information instead of the easy way out of euthanasia. I do have to admit last night I pulled a "Ginny" on her and so maybe it "sunk in" overnight. Like I told everyone when I adopted Blossom, which now applies to her. She can be euthanized AFTER she gets a second chance.

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Oh, I'm rollin'.....gonna fall off my chair:) Orthopets is another good source for braces. It needs to be a better fit than one can get with just generic Velcro.

No, there are many ways to deal with pain besides Rimadyl - it's no miracle. A brace should eliminate pain to a large degree - if the joint cannot move sideways, it won't hurt and is not being further injured - and it will heal. The lovely owner needs to think of this as a healing opportunity, not a disaster - onward and upward!

Arnica won't hurt, and/but there are other remedies which will help it heal. See if she would be receptive to working - long distance, even - with a qualified homeopath.

Bless your hearts, both of you...

LilF

Community Member
Registered
My friend has really stepped up to the challenge and taking action and seeking consults from 2 surgeons and checking in with her regular vet who she says is "never wrong about things" Her regular vet (older generation with decades of experience who does seem to care) said that the dog was not on death's doorstep, had years of life left after the surgery (even though my friend ordered a casket for the dog---I kid you not---she said she is a realist and wants to be prepared--. So I used her words of how her "vet is never wrong" to continue to keep her soldiering on. However, her learning curve is huge for non traditional pain relief (even though she doesn't like drugs for her dog) and healthy fresh diet . Her dog eats kibble and thinks it is the best food because the dog's stool is normal. Anyway her vet said no brace. She is trying to give the dog good quality of life from things she tells me she is doing---the dog (rottie and beagle mix) sleeps with her and enjoys being close. I remind her of the healing power of all she is doing. It is amazing the power of encouragement and support to give people a push in the right direction. I have to say I am proud of her efforts and all she is doing. I tell her she would never forgive herself if she did nothing. I tell her I would also give my all to have another tomorrow with my deceased Gabby and JJ....She has more tomorrows with her dog if she chooses.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Such good news about your friend's change of heart.
Just be careful to only offer one suggestion at a time.

Ginny, is the webinar still available?
Dr. Christina

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
No, not per se. She is running the practice as a subscription service presently, and is pretty much full up. However, there are some useful links and photos on the site: FinnDVM.com - and she is always available for a consult as to how to proceed.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom