• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Frail cat losing weight and eats very little

JaneS

All-Access Member
Registered
my 16 year old cat Catrina
was diagnosed with IBD possible lymphoma. She’s down to 7.5 pounds and is very bony with little muscle mass. Her beam is moderate. I have been feeding her Friskies canned food which she seem to show an interest in. I thought this might put more calories in her. However this morning I found vomit so I don’t think it’s good for her stomach. I do sprinkle forta flora on food and sometimes she will not touch it because of that. I crush her Cerenia tablet every other day and put it in a little bit of cream usually she eats it but the past few days she hasn’t. She is so difficult to help because she won’t eat many things and if she does it’s only about a teaspoon at a time and over a whole day that might not even be a half a can of food which is the reason why she is not gaining weight. I have tried AD food and she won’t eat that either. it seems after she throws up she won’t eat for a while then because I guess she’s not feeling well. That’s the stage we’re at now. I put Miritizipine in her ear transdermally today and I will see if that increases her appetite. Has anyone had this problem and how can I help to get weight back on my kitty? She does eat rotisserie chicken but I fear it’s too salty cause she drinks and she is in early stage renal. Today I plan on giving her some salmon
I really have to get some weight back on her

Dr. Sue

Certified Veterinary Food Therapist
All-Access Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
Hi Jane,

I'm so sorry to hear about your kitty. To encourage her appetite and to soothe digestion and inflammation, I recommend trying a little bone broth - either made yourself or purchased at the pet store. I like Primal brand in the freezer section. A recipe is attached if you want to make it yourself. I would make it with chicken backs or a whole uncooked chicken, since chicken is helpful for digestion. Avoid rotisserie chicken. She can drink it on it's own or with a couple of teaspoons added to her food. I also like giving cats Vitamin B12 injections weekly for a month, then monthly. Your vet can show you how to give these at home or you they can give them. B12 is an appetite stimulant and it is good for the digestive tract. Many cats with gi lymphoma/IBD are lacking in B12. B12 helps nourish the intestinal tract and keeps intestinal microbes happy.

Dr. Sue

Attachments

• Bone Broth Recipe Page.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 1

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks so much for your important post Jane and reply Dr. Sue!

To my knowledge, the rotisserie chicken is all that Catrina seems to love eating (even tho it is not be best). I also would love to see Catrina eating a wider variety, but I think she needs the calories above all else.

Jane, please let us know how she likes the salmon raw, cooked, roasted, warm, cool, etc.

And try a wide variety of other good, and not so good, foods. Anything to increase her calories. Maybe sardines, lunch meats, lox, herring, etc.

I bet @Dr. Christina, @Dr. Sara, @Dr. Jean or @Gail Pope have other ideas to help her eat while you work with her body using homeopathy.

JaneS

All-Access Member
Registered
She totally gobbled up the salmon I had it under the broiler. As did my other cats LOL she is eating nonstop today and I’m actually trying to hold her back because I’m afraid she’s gonna throw up I know it’s the Marisa pain and I’m so happy if she can keep it down that would add calories she is licking the dishes clean. What she’s eating mostly now is the fancy feast but she did have a nice size plate of the salmon this morning the bone broth is a good idea I’ll have to order more

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Wow, wonderful to hear Jane.

Sounds like her body "liked" the dose of Nux the other day!

Great instinct to go easy on feeding her now. We don't want to overfill her stomach and induce vomiting.

Dr. Jean Hofve

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
I hate to even say this, but the easiest way to put weight on a cat is to feed more carbs. I've found that Earth's Best organic baby food is very palatable; my gang have have varioiusly liked sweet potatoes, and there are a couple with pasta and potato. They're easy to mix in with raw (or any other wet) food. Maybe that would be tempting enough for your baby?

JaneS

All-Access Member
Registered
She’s about the same only eating a little bit better because of the appetite stimulator I’m giving her she gets checked by the vet next Tuesday. Thank you for asking

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom