• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Feeding organ meats

Keely Parr

All-Access Member
Registered
I recently began feeding my cat Karma raw chicken heart every other day along with his regular raw chicken drumsticks. Is it safe to feed the raw chicken heart every day or is every other day sufficient? I am using it as a source of iron and B12.
Thanks,
Keely

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Chicken heart is also a great muscle meat, so it is fine to feed daily. It is also a great source of taurine.
Feeding a variety of meats is good, too, so maybe try turkey, beef, fish, egg, dairy as protein sources.

Is Karma eating the whole bone of the drumstick?

Dr. Christina

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes!

Every day is great for fantastic heart support.

And as Dr. Christina said, variety is important and I would add other organ meats.

Especially kidney and organic liver (if she'll eat them).

Also Pet's Friend Pet GO (glands and organs) makes a powder with many glands and organs.

G

ginnyw

Yep - as the uncredentialed expert in the room, I agree. Every day is nice, but probably more than needed, especially if you can fill in with a bit of other organs. There are a few organ mixes put out by various pet food suppliers; you'd likely need to thaw out a package or chub and divide it into teeny containers for daily use. My go-to is Tripe/Organ Mix from Greentripe.com: all pastured beef including tripe (10%), heart, tongue (muscle, but good quality meat), liver, lung, pancreas, and spleen. Always bear in mind that variety over time is as valuable in the diet as the contents themselves:)

Dana

All-Access Member
Registered
I just got a bag of fresh chicken livers from a local farmer which I put in the freezer... ok to feed to young pups?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Absolutely!

Go slow at first as too much at once can trigger diarrhea.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom