• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Fasting cats

beccak

VIP Member
Pet Professional
Registered
This week I got to sit in on a nutrition talk given by Dr Richard Patton. He mentioned that most zoos fast, or bones only day, their cats once a week. I have never thought about fasting my cat. I have always been taught that cats have short digestive systems and should eat daily. I learned this information long before I started a more holistic way of life for my animals.
Should I be fasting my cat?
Thank you!
Becca
<a href="http://pattonanimalnutrition.com"></a>

beccak

VIP Member
Pet Professional
Registered
<a href="http://pattonanimalnutrition.com"></a>

Sorry, thought I had attached this link
Becca

beccak

VIP Member
Pet Professional
Registered
Let me try this way:
http://pattonanimalnutrition.com

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Becca.

Dr. Patton and I have spoken about Vital Essentials brand food.

Fasting one (or even two separate) days a week is good for most cats. However, it can be difficult depending on your individual (I had one kitty who used to destroy something if he wasn't fed).

Fasting and caloric restriction in general are proven to extend animal lives.

Ours as well.

Dr. Jeff

beccak

VIP Member
Pet Professional
Registered
Thanks Dr Feinman!
No comment on my fasting.
Becca

beccak

VIP Member
Pet Professional
Registered
Thanks Dr Feinman!
No comment on human/my fasting.
Becca

beccak

VIP Member
Pet Professional
Registered
I did order one of the Vital Essentials foods to see how it works for tracking. Would be great if it works.
Becca

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Becca-

Did you order one of their freeze-dried foods? Or raw?

I ask because even though raw food has higher vitality, the f-d may be even more palatable and higher value.

Dr. Jeff

beccak

VIP Member
Pet Professional
Registered
The freeze dried. And you're right, it sure does have high value to Hiro!!!
With Hiro being a singleton, we are out working hard on socialization, this food is really helping work through some unsure scenarios.
Waiting for the snow to melt to start tracking.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Excellent! Keep us posted.

Dr. Jeff

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Anitra Frazier, in <ul>The Natural Cat</ul>, has a whole page on fasting and several comments on how cats in the wild fast, and the benefits of cleansing the system. She reminds us to fast on days when you are at home to play with them, give lots of attention and love.

I like her approach which is to feed chicken broth rather than a total fast. Others do prefer a total fast.

Over the last 35 years I have seen cats who were very healthy after fasting for even two weeks, some who were lost with no food for even a month who recovered well and many who fasted for 2-5 days. I have also seen a few cats develop fatty liver after fasting for over 3 days.

I do recommend fasting for one or two meals to develop the appetite when a cat is not wanting to stop eating kibble.

I know people who fast their dogs and cats the day they fast!

Since every animal is unique, it is something to try, and as Dr. Jeff said - it is not for every cat!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom