• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Eric bull terrier/ rescue dog/ anal gland problems, itching and lethargy

LoriW

All-Access Member
Registered
THANK YOU DR. JEFF! I started Eric on Thyro-go 2 days ago, already more active and wants to play more, noticing he isn't itching and scratching like he was. I have spent so much money on supplements that I thought would help and nothing until now. You were right, it was his thyroid. Before, he wasn't drinking very much water and only wanted to sleep. Now drinking normal amounts and wanting to play. Also love the Remend for his eyes, keeps the eyes clearer longer, AFTER 2 YEARS, THANK YOU THANK YOU

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're welcome, Lori!

LoriW

All-Access Member
Registered
I am wondering why some dogs drink so much water. I have one dog that drinks a half of a pretty big bowl of water in one sitting. He is a high energy dog, but even when at home relaxing, he drinks alot. His urine color is very yellow. He has had intestinal blockage before with a squeaky toy being removed. He is one of those dogs that muscles shake at certain times

LoriW

All-Access Member
Registered
Like when he is standing, you can see his muscles trembling in his legs
has always done this for years

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Lori-

The excess (compared to the other dogs) water drinking is one sign of your pup's individuality.

Similar to his high energy and leg shaking, these are all part of who he is.

The color of the urine is clue that his kidneys are working well and that the drinking is not a pathologic problem.

Your vet can quickly check the urine to confirm that his kidneys are working.

You can also monitor his urine concentration/specific gravity (USG) this at home with an affordable and easy to use tool called a refractometer. Some pet parents do this at home to monitor their pets with kidney challenges.

LoriW

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you. Have never heard of refractometer, interesting.

sdeilus

All-Access Member
Registered
Lori,
Hi, I'm Sue Deilus and Dr. Jeff asked me to talk about my use of the refractometer and monitoring urine.

I have a golden with kidney disease from lyme and I check her urine and SPG every day. Measuring the SPG of her urine tells me how her kidneys are doing and how much water she is drinking. I also check the urine on my other two healthy dogs, to keep an eye on kidney function as well. I figure the SPG measure will give me an early warning on what is happening with their kidneys. I do blood work every 6 months checking kidney function and other things, but checking the urine every day gives me a quicker and cheaper early warning sign that something is going on with their kidneys. I log the numbers into their journals everyday, so I can see any trends up or down that may be happening. Does this help?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks Sue!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom