• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Environmental risk factors

Dr. Sara

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
Fortunately, most of my clients know that it is important to feed excellent food (not extruded kibble), appropriate supplements, and provide love and mental stimulation to minimize stress, and thereby decrease cancer risk.

I emphasize the significance of environmental toxins in cancer development. In animals the following non-genetic risk factors have been established, according to the Veterinary Information Network:
Tobacco smoke- nasal cavity, sinuses, lungs (less effect in very long nosed dogs)
Flea collars (feline squamous cell carcinoma [SCC]), insecticides (bladder cancer in dogs)
Canned tuna (feline SCC)
Herbicides (lymphoma)
Vaccine adjuvants and components (some skin cancers)
Dental inflammation (mouth tumours)

As you can see, many of these are avoidable.
If people must smoke, they are often willing to do so outside, and use an air purifier in the home to decrease particulates from their clothes.
People can choose lawn care that does not use pesticides or herbicides, and ask for an MSDS for any product that someone wants to put in or around their home.
People are often unwilling to use less toxic flea and tick products. I try to be sympathetic, but it’s a bit hard when I manage to use Wondercide effectively with three massive hairy beasts!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom