• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Drinking a lot more than usual, peeing in the house

E

emilie

My Dog, Wileee, has been drinking significantly more water than usual, and he's been peeing in the house, for the first time in many years.

Should I be concerned? Is this an early warning sign? Any recommendation for how to proceed (besides more potty breaks)?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Emilie-

Great questions, and thanks so much for reposting them here for everyone to see!

Increased water drinking is definitely an sign that something is up with Wileee.

How old is he?

What does he eat and has any new food been recently introduced?

Does he have any prior urinary symptoms that were treated conventionally?

Does he take any other supplements and are any of these new(ish)?

When was his last diagnostic testing with blood or urine?

In general, if he has not had any in the past 4-6 months, it's a good idea to have these done.

Especially if the results get compared to prior ones as this will uncover early kidney problems.

Click/tap here (after logging in at holisticactions.com/login) to watch or listen to the cystitis and kidney course and webinars to get other more specific answers right away.

E

emilie

He is probably 7-10 years old. He eats pastured meat, mostly raw/organic, vegetables, small amounts of my food (only organic whole food that's good for dogs, a little fruit and berries, avocados), whole food supplements like coconut oil, homemade goat milk kefir, sauerkraut and turmeric powder, Entero TruBenefits probiotic. None of the supplements are new/ish. But sometimes I give him a little of my smoothie with collagen, ashwaganda, amla, açaí. Maybe I should be careful about giving him my food?

He had bloodwork about 6 months ago, before having 8 teeth pulled under anesthesia.

He hasn't had prior urinary symptoms, though he was peeing in the house sometimes when we first adopted him about 5 years ago. I try to avoid pharmaceutical drugs, but we adopted him from the humane society, where he got all the standard vaccinations, and when I took him to a vet for a checkup and heartworm test, she gave him the lyme and leptospirosis vaccine without my consent! And he got extremely ill right after. This was about 5 years ago, but I wonder if it's affecting his health.

I'm not noticing any other symptoms, BEAM is very good, his poop has been a lot more yellow than usual.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Wow, what a fantastic diet and supplement regimen Wileee has!

There's no need to change a thing in his diet Emilie, but you night want to start treating homeopathically.

To individuallize his treatment, look closely for other symptoms. Especially other changes and modalities, new likes, dislikes, etc.

If he wasn't urinating in the house 6 months ago, then it's a good idea to repeat some tests now.

Especially a first morning mid-stream urine sample.

Feel free to post the test results in this thread so we can follow his progress.

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Totally agree with Dr. Jeff that Wileee is a very lucky dog to get such a good diet, and also for you to to get another round of tests and carefully observe for symptoms.

Maybe look at the early warning signs of internal imbalance to see if any of those are present in other body symptoms. And quantify the BEAM as well.

Dr. Christina

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom