• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Crate training

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Question: My pup (Sadie) is 1 of 8 that I got from the local shelter 3 days ago.

I work out of the home so I am able to take her out every 2 hours. She is doing VERY well. Only a couple of accidents in the house.

Since I work at home, I keep her in my office with me during the day; and in the den with me in the evening. Her food (I feed twice a day, and only leave food down for approx 20 minutes) and water are kept in the kitchen. She does know where her water is. Also set up in the kitchen is her bedding; and some newspaper in the opposite corner; where she does do a great job of wetting on while in the kitchen.

My problem is this: At night I put her in the kitchen (have doors blocked off), I leave a light on as well as music. She cries as soon as she wakes up, and continues. After 30 minutes I go in there, play with here and pet her til she falls back asleep. This is every 2 hours!!!! YIKES am I ever tired!!!!

Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Can I still start the crate method?

PLEEEEEEEEEEZE HELP!!!! Thanks again,

Bruce

Sex: Female

username: Spexis@Mindspring.com

Pet: Canine

Breed: Lab-mix

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
First of all, congratulations on your new addition. To answer your last question first, you *definitely* should start crate-training her.

It is normal for a pup of this age to wake up at least once during the night to urinate. This is when you should take her out of her crate to urinate, put her back in, and that’s it. No playing, no sweet talk, no treats etc. At this point she knows that if she cries enough, you will eventually come out and play with her. This is rewarding inappropriate behavior.

You should consider putting the crate in your room so she can have you nearby for comfort. Realize that it is very traumatic for her to leave the comfort of her brothers and sisters, and you and your family are now her only family. Realize as well that even the getting up once during the night will end soon since she should start sleeping through the night within a few weeks.

Hang in there. The joy she will bring to you over the next decade or more is well worth it!

Dr. Jeff

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom