• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Congenital Neurological Deficits in Puppy

Deena

All-Access Member
Registered
*Please delete or respond privately if this is too sensitive a discussion for this forum*
I picked up an almost 8 wk old puppy yesterday, who's family is struggling with what his future might be. My goal is to research realistic options and determine what is best for him. Has anyone been through this and willing to share your experience and opinions? Have any other the vets here treated cases like this successfully? Can homeopathy improve his deficits so he can have a rewarding quaLity and quantity of life? Or is giving him a "do-over" my most humane option?

He was born #3 of 10, natural & easy birth. He and pup #1 looked very similar at birth and very different than the 8 other healthy pups. Did they share a placenta since this half dollar size "medallion" came out in between them and no normal placentas after either of them???? #1 passed at 24 hrs old. We thought he would follow, but is still holding on at 8 weeks. He eats, drinks, pees & poops normally. He appears happy and in no pain. His vision is limited and can hear some things. He is half the weight of his littermates. Neurologically he is very impaired. He cannot walk straight and bumps into things. He tires easily and sleeps more than a normal pup his age. I'm sure there is hydrocephalus, due to symptoms and shape of his head. If human, I would put his level intellectual disability as "moderate". Thoughts?
Little Man 7.5 wks old.jpg

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Deena-

This is a great topic (and not at all too sensitive) to discuss here.

2 thoughts.

1. You are likely correct that hydrocephalus plays a role in this pup's health challenges.

However, he is young enough that his awe-some Vitality can still probably overcome some of the challenges so he has a good (albeit slow) quality of life.

Especially when directed (his Vitality that is) homeopathically!

2. A neurologist's opinion and likely "diagnosis" would be lovely to have, but are certainly not essential.

Especially since their treatment advice would probably be to see how well he develops and to let him "grow out of it".

Perhaps you could upload a video to youtube and share (link to it) here?

Deena

All-Access Member
Registered
Thanks Dr Jeff for your suggestions. Below is some video of "Little Man" circling, running straight, playing with his "aunt" who is 4 weeks old. Despite the obvious, he is very happy with a huge will to live and eats with unbelievable vigor. He does tire easily.

I feel like I hit the lottery with the possible home that came forward for him. He left yesterday for a trial run. The mother is a vet tech who works for a holistic VMD (mostly TCM) who is also a D.A.C.V.I.M. in Neurology. They offer many healing modalities in house that I feel he can benefit from. I will help with the homeopathy piece and they have great chiropractors in the area. I am so hoping this situation works out for him.

All input is welcome. Thanks again.....Deena

Attachments

• Little Man Plays with Sundae Video.mp4
    4.6 MB
  • Little Man Straight Video.mp4
    4.5 MB
  • Little Man Circling & Tired video.mp4
    4.5 MB

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Wow, awe-some Deena!

Who is the board certified neurologist?

Deena

All-Access Member
Registered
Mark Russo in Kingston, MA Mark Russo, VMD, DACVIM - Kingston Animal Hospital

I had several people do Reiki on him and all felt the same. This little guy has a strong vital force and WANTS to be here to teach. I hope they are right. But if the ultimate decision is to give him a do-over, I feel he is in the right hands to make that decision.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks Deena!

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
The angels are certainly with this fellow - you, the perfect guardians and vets!

One of my colleagues from Minnesota had a cat with severe hydrocephalus and deficits. Could not walk straight, nor stand, ate with a twisted neck and much more. She was a TCVM vet and much more. He never became normal and he led a wonderful, happy, interactive life. He was her "gardener", going with her every time she gardened, and "helping".

this pup seems to be here for at least a good long time.

Dr. Christina

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom