• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Collagen Bones?

Dana

All-Access Member
Registered
What do we think about collagen bones?
I tried to give Murphy Collagen powder to help his ligament tear but he would not touch it.
I found these.......

100% Collagen Bones - America's Alternative to Rawhide

• This is new type of Chew Bone - 100% Collagen Layer of skin
  • Ingredients - Beef Corium, Filtered Water - Corium is the bottom layer of collagen-rich beef skin, which provides a digestible and long-lasting chew.
  • Low in Fat & High in Protein
  • Provides Joint Support for Active Dogs
  • Helps promote healthy skin
  • Chewing Action kelps with good oral health
  • 5" Regular & Chicken Flavor - 7-8" Regular & Chicken- 10" Regular & Chicken - Wafers Regular & Chicken
  • USA MADE

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Looks super interesting and worth investigating Dana! I've never used these and wonder if they'd provide any benefit above chewing on a trachea, hoof, ear, etc. (parts made of collagen)?

If you could send a direct link to the ones you are considering, that would be great.

@Dr. Jean have you ever used something like this?

Dana

All-Access Member
Registered
Looks super interesting and worth investigating Dana! I've never used these and wonder if they'd provide any benefit above chewing on a trachea, hoof, ear, etc. (parts made of collagen)?

If you could send a direct link to the ones you are considering, that would be great.

@Dr. Jean have you ever used something like this?

Dr. Sara

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
Would you be able to ask the company if a dog gets them wet, do they get soft so the dog can swallow them whole? The big problem with rawhide - aside from its questionable provenance and digestibility - is that dogs chew on it, get it soft, then swallow it in one go. This might not matter so much with these, as they are more digestible; it causes blockage problems with rawhide.
IF they are truly digestible, they look like a great option!
Sara

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
In addition to Dr. Sara's comment, I'd also like to know exactly what's IN the flavoring - in the chicken one, and if there is any flavoring in the beef variety. There is no question but that the collagen powder is vastly more potent, so for rehabilitative purposes I should imagine it would be more effective. For chew purposes, these could be fine.

Did you try dissolving the powder? Is it pure collagen? Honestly, I've seen dogs go nuts over the powder. My vet's two goldens ate a whole 5 gallon bucket while no one was looking.

Dana

All-Access Member
Registered
In addition to Dr. Sara's comment, I'd also like to know exactly what's IN the flavoring - in the chicken one, and if there is any flavoring in the beef variety. There is no question but that the collagen powder is vastly more potent, so for rehabilitative purposes I should imagine it would be more effective. For chew purposes, these could be fine.

Did you try dissolving the powder? Is it pure collagen? Honestly, I've seen dogs go nuts over the powder. My vet's two goldens ate a whole 5 gallon bucket while no one was looking.
Ha!!! I sprinkled it on fresh beef stew meat and Murphy would not touch it. It is pure Collagen, my husband & I put it in our coffee and dont notice it. I will reach out to Penny Pets and see if I can get answers to the questions about the bones.

Dr. Jean Hofve

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
I've just used collagen powder but I've seen these things in the store; I'll pick one up for the puppy next time I'm in town! He is teething, thereby creating quite a scene!

Dana

All-Access Member
Registered
Bob Vella from Penny Pet reports:
"
Hi Dana

The experiment went well. The bones did get soggy but did not fall apart. They unraveled after several hours in the water but they did not become a mussy goo loke rawhide bones do

My files are too big to e-mail, I can send a link from Box or Dropbox if you have access to those services.

Also the company did just issue this info to me read below,

"100% COLLAGEN
Our beef chews are the same as collagen powder people take for their health! Collagen strengthens joints, prevents injuries, and keeps their nails and coat healthy. Not to mention dogs enjoy the taste and is part of a balanced, healthy diet!"

AlysonR

All-Access Member
Registered
I'm pretty sure one of my dogs swallowed one whole. It didn't cause any lasting damage, but his stool was a little weird for a day or so.
Would you be able to ask the company if a dog gets them wet, do they get soft so the dog can swallow them whole? The big problem with rawhide - aside from its questionable provenance and digestibility - is that dogs chew on it, get it soft, then swallow it in one go. This might not matter so much with these, as they are more digestible; it causes blockage problems with rawhide.
IF they are truly digestible, they look like a great option!
Sara

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom