• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Chlorine exposure from water therapy tank

DanielleDL

All-Access Member
Registered
Bobby does physical therapy once a week (for a wedge osteotomy back in October 2021) and part of his rehab is walking in a water tank (3 min, 5 min, and today was 7 min). He comes home smelling of chlorine (and wet dog). Should I be trying to rinse off the tank water (or in Bobby's case, give him a sponge bath since we don't have a tub)? I saw a video of his first session and he gave the water a lick, but I don't think he liked it, so I don't worry too much about him drinking the water, just absorbing it through his skin.

Thanks as always for your input! :)

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes, I think it would be great to rinse him off or use a mild shampoo like:

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Wow, I think I'd ask the proprietors of the facility if they would consider going to a non-chlorine based water treatment; there are quite a few different methods. I know a half-dozen or so swim facilities in my area, and none of them use chlorine systems. The chlorine is definitely NOT good for him, and just rinsing won't get it off, as it penetrates quickly.

Dr. Sue

Certified Veterinary Food Therapist
All-Access Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
I'm a little late to the thread but wanted to recommend a product from Standard Process that helps detox chemicals. It comes up a lot when I muscle test pets that have chlorine as an underlying stressor to their system. The product is called Parotid PMG. Dosing is 1 per day for dog <20#, 2/d for 20-50# dog, 3/d for >50#. Dogs love these and they are best given as treats on an empty stomach before bed. Give the entire dose at once.

DanielleDL

All-Access Member
Registered
@Dr. Sue - Thanks for your input! Apparently the physical therapy place has land exercises they can do with Bobby instead of using the tank, so I'll request those instead, just to be safe.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom