• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Chipped dog canine tooth?

DanielleDL

All-Access Member
Registered
@Dr. Jeff, @Dr. Christina I was raking Bobby's neck fur, and he went to playfully mouth my hand, and the metal fur rake hit his tooth and may have chipped the tip of one of his canines (or the chip was already there, and I just never noticed). It's a tiny chip, but it might be sensitive (he pulls away when I touch it, and seems unbothered if I touch the tips of any of the unchipped teeth). Should I get this checked out or will it take care of itself?

Edit: Upon further investigation, it looks like a superficial enamel chip. It no longer seems sensitive to touch (and he pulls away when I touch his other teeth too, so he probably just doesn't want me poking around so much in his mouth). I don't see any sign of it exposing the dentin. I believe these minor chips can go untreated. I got a decent picture of it. Still, any input is appreciated, especially if I'm wrong. :)

tooth-chip.jpeg

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
How great Danielle that you did the research to find the answer on your own! Yes, yes and yes.

I agree with you 100% (that chips and fractures which are not sensitive and that do not expose the pulp cavity are usually fine to leave alone and monitor).

DanielleDL

All-Access Member
Registered
Thanks for the reassurance, @Dr. Jeff ! You can imagine how bad I felt when it happened--assuming it was the fur rake that did it. My gut thinks it was. :( Better to learn a lesson without any major damage though, right? Note to self: beware of Bobby mouthing when raking fur. :)

Dr. Sara

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
Good picture Danielle!
If it makes you feel any better, it is not likely that you did this to Bobby's tooth with the rake. It doesn't look like a fresh chip - that is subjective, but the edges don't look sharp. It is pretty hard to chip a tooth a a small piece of metal unless the dog chomps down hard against it. The canine isn't likely to do that on a narrow metal piece like a rake, though a premolar could. This sort of chip is more likely to be associated with gnawing on or tossing about a hard chew like an antler.
Best regards,
Dr. Sara

DanielleDL

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi @Dr. Sara , That's a relief to know. Then he must've gotten it before we adopted him, because he's never chomped on anything harder than a beef collagen or beef cheek chew since he's been with us. The antlers kinda scare me just for that reason. Thanks so much for your input!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom