• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Cat with seizures

MonicaF

All-Access Member
Registered
@Dr. Jeff , @Dr. Jean I just don't see my kitty doing well, and am worried for her. I just don't want her to suffer unnecessarily. She was checked once again on Monday and although I find at times her breathing not right, the vet found she was fine in her lungs and heart. I feel she kind of looks at me like giving up, spends all day on my kitchen counter, rarely goes out to the patio, eats ok, drinks I think a good amount of water, but just lays there like waiting for time to go by, and sometimes I think she even complains when I go to pet her. I just feel bad for her and wish to look for an alternative.

She has what I believe are seizures, and wets herself when it happens. She has them almost daily and some days, more than once a day. As quickly as it comes on it goes away, she recovers quite fast. The vet doubts its epilepsy and he prescribed Levetiracetam, 1.2 ml twice daily to see how she responds. I don't know if I should go ahead and give it to her, I've waited to buy it but want to give her something.

Trying to help her in some way, I have been giving her Belladona, due to an article I read which kind of sounded like her and her symptoms. Not sure if it is working in any way, I'd like to believe it has, because I think since, she has had less episodes. But since I am at work during the day, cannot say for sure.

Unfortunately, I can't afford a homeopathy consultation. I just wish I could have another perspective.

Here is my Nika.
IMG_4992.jpg

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I'm sorry to hear about your kitty Monica.

How old is she, what does she eat (is she eating) and for how long has her BEAM been decreased and has been having symptoms?

Belladonna may have been a great choice, and what potency and frequency are you giving it?

Regardless, you may want to stop dosing now if she is getting worse.

Also, here's a great summary guide that Aruna shared for whenever you post about any of your kitties:

MonicaF

All-Access Member
Registered
I'm sorry to hear about your kitty Monica.

How old is she, what does she eat (is she eating) and for how long has her BEAM been decreased and has been having symptoms?

Belladonna may have been a great choice, and what potency and frequency are you giving it?

Regardless, you may want to stop dosing now if she is getting worse.

Also, here's a great summary guide that Aruna shared for whenever you post about any of your kitties:

@Dr. Christina @Dr. Jeff @Dr. Sue

Thank you Dr. Jeff, still learning how to do this but here we go.
Nika:
  • Approximate age - 12 years
  • Sex - Female
  • Neutering status - fixed since very young
  • Breed - mix
  • Approximate weight - 10 lbs.
  • What's their BEAM (behavior, energy, appetite, mood) - She seems quite tranquil, showing low energy (basically spends all her time on top of a counter, only gets down about twice a day to go to the patio but comes right back, appetite I believe is normal and her mood don't know how to describe it, but she just seems quiet, not much movement to me maybe even sad.
  • Diet - she eats dry kibble with some wet food several times a day
  • Vaccination history / exposure to toxins, other medication - She was vaccinated just once, right after being rescued, she must have been a year old then. Exposure to toxins - can't think of any and medications, this is the first time I believe she has had to see a vet in all her years. Since last year I have been worried about her, and the vet said back then, she might have an infection so they prescribed an injectable antibiotic. At that time she was somewhat lethargic and not eating much. She improved and recovered from that episode, but now this.
  • Primary problem, when it began and if there was anything else happening around that time - She has been having what I believe now are short seizures. It all started some weeks ago. I noticed she would scractch her back and then, she would fall backwards, with her 4 paws up and like losing control of her body. She wets herself almost every time. As quickly as they come on, they go away. She seems to recover quickly. At first I thought it could be like a spasm, trying to reach a spot high up in her back. But as they continued and more frequently I figured it was something else. I don't believe anything else was happening at the time I noticed these seizures began.
  • Is the condition better or worse from exercise, heat, cold, time of day, certain foods, emotional upset, being touched, excitement, etc? She hardly moves as I mentioned before, she basically hangs around on the counter, maybe walks the length of the counter once or twice and gets down to visit the patio to do her business, maybe twice a day, but quickly comes back. The seizures I don't think happen at a specific time of day, I think she has had them at different times. When I come close to pet as often as I can when I am home, and she seems to like it and asks for more if I stop, but doesn't necesarily likes to be picked up, because when I do, she wants to get down right away. Sometimes when I go to pet her, on her side, because she is usually lying on her side, she meaows, don't know if it is discomfort, or attention.
  • Has any diagnostic work been done? Diagnosis if available (you can attach your diagnostic tests to the post if you have them) A physical checkup and labs were done on Monday, where they suggested based on my description, to try a med for seizures
  • Current and previous treatment - Meds prescribed on Monday Levetiracetam, 1.2 ml twice daily, but I have not started it yet.
  • Other health concerns - I sometimes see her breathing fast, but is momentarily and the vet said her lungs and heart sounded fine.

Attachments

• 4368_001.pdf
    118.6 KB · Views: 4

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks for this follow-up info Monica!

Her blood work looks good!!

First and foremost is to start by gradually increasing the cellular energy that her body needs to heal.

The first, and most important, step is to wean her off any dry food and to start introducing fresh foods (ideally in variety) into her diet.

Also start playing the hunt for treats game and using the snuffle mat with her.

Using tiny bits of broken up freeze-dried chicken/turkey/duck hearts are perfect for this (and are irresistible for most pets).

The sniffing is key for her brain health and to help balance her body overall.

MonicaF

All-Access Member
Registered
Thanks for this follow-up info Monica!

Her blood work looks good!!

First and foremost is to start by gradually increasing the cellular energy that her body needs to heal.

The first, and most important, step is to wean her off any dry food and to start introducing fresh foods (ideally in variety) into her diet.

Also start playing the hunt for treats game and using the snuffle mat with her.

Using tiny bits of broken up freeze-dried chicken/turkey/duck hearts are perfect for this (and are irresistible for most pets).

The sniffing is key for her brain health and to help balance her body overall.
Thank you Dr. Jeff,

About the fresh diet, do you mean raw? where do you suggest I look up info on how to do it for her? and, i forgot to answer the Belladonna question: Ive been giving her 30c twice a day and leave pellets in her water bowl. Should I continue? Is there a better option? And, should I guve her the med the vet prescribed?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
1. By fresh food I mean un-processed foods like meats, organs, glands, etc. Lightly cooked or raw (whatever you're comfortable doing and that she'll eat). It's readily available in pet stores as frozen (usually raw but some brands also have a lightly coked version).

The opposite of fresh is the ultra-processed dry and canned foods.

2. Start with the info. here such as the diet section of the Pet Health 101 course.

3. Yes, I'd stop the Bell and only use it daily and for long term on the direction of a vet homeopath or if she is having multiple or severe seizures you want to stop at the time (RR, Reiki, acupressure and drugs also do this).

4. That's up to you and your local vet. A diagnostic drug trial for a week could be helpful depending on the frequency of the observed seizures and her tolerance of the drug.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom