• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Cat with congestive heart failure

HannahT

VIP Member
Registered
Josh saw Dr Goodwin, the cardiologist today for his echocardiogram. Apparently he has restrictive cardio myopathy that is most likely genetic. The doctor is adjusting his meds and getting him to start on lower doses and he will go back again in two weeks for blood work. I’m going to take this info to a local holistic vet and see what they say.

HannahT

VIP Member
Registered
@Dr. Jeff here is Dr. Goodwin’s report after Josh’s echocardiogram. You were right, looks like cardiomyopathy. Updated the original post as well. 4F584F45-AAA1-4F92-81E8-1ACE110B220B.png7BAF6370-BCE3-4621-AD3D-ADA3E67BFF98.png

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I'm so sorry to hear about Josh's severe heart dis-ease.?

Now it's even more important than ever to focus on his quality of like and happiness.

Does he purr, love petting, treats, etc?

HannahT

VIP Member
Registered
I'm so sorry to hear about Josh's severe heart dis-ease.?

Now it's even more important than ever to focus on his quality of like and happiness.

Does he purr, love petting, treats, etc?
Yes he loves pets and purrs constantly when he’s being touched. He loves catnip and has had plenty of time w his catnip toy banana that I just bought for him. He is eating the raw food and his breaths have been at 25 per minute the last few days. Dr Goodwin said that if he responds well to the medications he could still live a somewhat normal lifespan. Hoping that is the case.

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Just FYI, all cat foods (that meet AAFCO standards) are required to contain taurine. Plant-based "vegetarian" or "vegan" foods are still not adequate for cats, but it's a total myth that "boutique" foods or those containing legumes or potatoes are the problem--they're absolutely not. When I looked at the FDA raw data, 15 or 19 foods were made by major manufacturers, and many were grain-based. I wouldn't call Purina or Hill's "boutique" foods by any stretch! What *did* cause the DCM? Most likely a microbiome issue.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Regarding DCM from food, I also wonder about glyphosate that's sprayed on the legumes.

Dr. Freeman was pretty clear last week at the ACVIM conference that from the data, it doesn't appear to be taurine...

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom