• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Cat L eye squinty, shook head and 1 vomit

TammiL

VIP Member
Registered
@Dr. Jean, @Dr. Jeff, @Dr. Christina My short haired cat, Tigger, who is 7 or 8 years old has had a little discharge from her eyes recently. Reddish/brown, and for a couple days now she goes to eat and starts to eat but then you see her almost squint like smelling something horrible or like we would close our eyes if we had a bad headache and focusing on something gives you that sharp pain you squint and close your eyes a few times. Then she stops eating. She has eaten a few full meals tho like last night Thursday pm, she ate a full meal and this morning Friday, she ate another full meal without an issue.

I'm thinking maybe an ear infection or possible tooth issue. No scratching at her ears. Her ears, both, just had a little stuff in them that I cleaned out recently, not a lot at all. Same reddish brown.

She is playful and jumping up to catch the "Da Bird" feather toy and she is hungry but once she goes to eat at times she may get no bites or several and then shakes her head and eyes squint like a bright light was just flashed on her face and stops eating.

She has good energy. She scarfed down deli ham tonight about 10 pieces without 1 squint.

Last night she vomited about 5 minutes after eating. It was clear liquid with the food she just ate. But then she was playful an hour after that.

Do we need to take a trip to the vet? I do have an assisi lounge that I started putting on her Thursday night.

I also put Kitty Boost from AnimalEO on her last 2 days.

Thoughts please? She is on raw frozen cat food. We switch often.

@Dr. Jeff
Or anyone

Last edited:

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Tammi!

For how long has this eating behavior been going on?

Is it getting worse?

Since it sounds like her BEAM is >90%, she is probably still pretty well balanced internally (despite her physical symptoms).

Do we need to take a trip to the vet?
A vet exam and any needed diagnostics is always a good idea (for collecting more info, and to help you feel a bit better).

The big 3 downsides are 1. If a vet trip is super stressful (decreasing her cellular energy and healing ability), 2. The cost, 3. Use o potentially suppressive medications.

Kitty Boost is perfect!

It doesn't sound like there's any particular indicated medication, but the vet exam would help determine that.

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
I'd be a bit leery of going to the vet, who almost certainly will want to medicate - and this could be a very negative experience, especially over time, for you and the kitty. I'd lean towards a systemic imbalance, which could be remedied - no pun intended - by some careful homeopathy, or by TCM, either or both acupuncture and herbal adjuncts. There's a relation between eye issues and liver imbalance - which is to say there may be more going on than a primary eye issue, which may be only a symptom of a more global imbalance. Not serious, most likely, but fixing it would be nice. And "medicine" in the Western sense won't touch it except to suppress.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
The vast majority of eye problems in kitties is herpesvirus. It's an upper respiratory virus (a stuffy nose may have contributed to episodes of inappetence), and it causes conjunctivitis. It lives on the nerves and flares up whenever there is stress or the immune system is somehow out of balance, which you are already addressing! Medication is rarely needed. I would add l-lysine to the regimen, 1000 mg per day until it settles down, 250 mg/day for maintenance. Here is my article on the subject, maybe some more tips for you there! littlebigcat.com/feline-conjunctivitis/

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom